cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Updating an item (person) based on lookup into another list

Hi Everyone,

I am kind of new here, and excuse my english.

Basically I have a 1st sharepoint list named listA containing 2 columns : Codes (text column) and Approver 1 (person column).

My second sharepoint List (list B) contains a list of all codes with related approver also in 2 columns which

What I want to know is if it is possible when in listA I select a code, that a lookup or an update is done based on the approver name which was initially defined in List B, for that code ?

Many thanks for your help

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @JAX_ND 

I don't think you need a Power Automation to do that. Just configure SharePoint with the List B being a lookup to the Column "Code" in the list A and you'll have it automatically updated. Something like this:

2019-12-13 13_32_05-Create Column.png

If you want you can even define it to allow for multiple values, so you have multiple lookups to SharePoint A.

Do you think this helps you solve your problem?

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Cheers
Manuel

Highlighted

Hi
Many thanks for your feedback.
In fact it seems a Look-Up column cannot be combined with a person column.
The approver column is not just a name. It is in fact the profile of a person (email, etc..)
Really sorry but I am not really an IT guy.

Regards
Highlighted

Hi @JAX_ND 

No worries at all :).. Let's figure this out.

I was thinking that you needed to link both SharePoint using the Code column hence the lookup.

I think I have a solution for you...

It's based on 2 parts:

1. Trigger when there's a change
  2. Update the listB with the values.

Here's a mockup. Sorry I'm not providing an example with an actual Code column but I'm using a test SharePoint instance. But I'm sure you'll understand the logic

2019-12-13 16_47_40-PROJ-001 - Idea Submission - Technical Documentation.docx - Word.png

Where you see "Title" think in your SharePoint as your "Code".

Basically we're triggering when there's a change in SharePoint A and check all items in SharePoint B that have that code to insert the person. You get the "Code" and the "Person" field to filter from the and update all of them in the "Apply to each"

Does it make sense?

If not please let me know and I'll try to detail further.

Cheers
Manuel

Highlighted

Hi,

Many thanks for your feedback, I have tried your solution but the Person / group columns to update are not even displayed in the Update item action.

Did it work with person columns on your side?

Regards

Highlighted

Hi @JAX_ND 

You need to check in SharePoint if the Person/People are being displayed in the view. If not add them, save the view and you'll see them in Power Automation.

Cheers
Manuel

Highlighted

Hi @JAX_ND,

Has your problem been solved?
If your problem has been solved, You could go ahead and mark the post as solved by clicking “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (12,814)