Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mars75_link
Level: Powered On

Updating exiting Excel spreadsheet

Hi all,

Basically I have an XLSX spreadsheet shared in a OneDrive for Business folder.  I developed a very basic PowerApp based on that spreadsheet and have shared it with about 6 employees in the company.  I'm now trying to automate the updating of the information in the spreadsheet so the guys can see up to date information in the App.  I got the guys who support our ERP to setup an email with the spreadsheet to be sent to me.  The attachement is an XLS spreadsheet.

I setup a flow to update the spreadsheet in the OneDrive for Business share when the email arrives in my Inbox and to then send an email notifying that the App has been updated.  That all generally works fine.  The issue I'm having is with updating the existing XLSX spreadsheet.  The information is in a table as that is what PowerApps requires to work.  Is there some way to either convert the XLS file I receive in the email into an XLSX spreadsheet with table OR to update the existing XLSX spreadsheet (preserving the table) with the information in the XLS spreadsheet?

I haven't been able to work it out.  I either corrupt the existing file or can only update an existing XLS psreadsheet in the OneDrive for Business share.  Perhaps there is another function somewhere in the flow toolkit that I have not yet found?  Should I use Power BI instead??

Many thanks in advance!!

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Updating exiting Excel spreadsheet

Hi @mars75_link,

Based on the scenario you described, I can't think out a way to update the Excel in OneDrive for Business.

As the table within the Excel is connected by PowerApps, replacing the whole Excel is not an option.

To update the data in Excel Table, we need to use the Excel Connector, but for the Excel file from Email Attachments, there is no proper way to get the table information within the Excel attached.

Besides, based on what I know, currently there is no proper action available to convert Excel file type within Microsoft Flow.

33.PNG

Besides, PowerApps should be able to perform CRUD option, would it be available to update the Data within PowerApps directly?

Further, I don't think Power BI would help here. As replacing the data source would corrupt the Report, and there is no way available to update data from one Excel to another Excel file.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mars75_link
Level: Powered On

Re: Updating exiting Excel spreadsheet

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the confirmation.  I think it may just be a matter of time when the PowerApp framework is able to do what I need in this specific situation.  Unfortunately I don't have a prgramming background and so won't even think about trying to make a custom API to handle this!

Kind Regards,

Mario.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 91 members 4,259 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: