Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mmattar
Level 8

Updating list with count

Hello all,

I have a dates sharepoint list with a column of count. Based on another list, where items get created i want to create a flow that updates my dates list count column based on the date the item was created.

Example: a item gets created for date 4/8/2019. A flow should trigger to see a item was created and then update the dates list for column                   date         count

4/8/2019  1

and if another one gets created on same date count goes to 2. 

Thank you all ! 

4 REPLIES 4
Piper
Level 8

Re: Updating list with count

Hi @mmattar,

I'm not exactly sure where your question is in this post, it seems like you have set it up nicely already. If you are asking what the flow should look like I'll try to help.

• Trigger - Creation of the SharePoint List Item
  • Action - Initialize Variable - Current Count, Integer
  • Action - Get Items (SharePoint) - this is where the important work happens in the Advanced Options
    • Filter Query: Filter on your date column matching your creation date - you will need to only match on the date portion of the creation date of the item
    • Top Count: 1 to ensure you only get one date record back
  • Action - Apply to Each the results of the Get Items - the loop should only execute once
    • Action - Set Variable Current Count equal to the Count column value (from the Get Items)
    • Action - Increment Variable Current Count by 1
    • Action - Update Item
      • Id: The same item you are working with in the loop
      • Count (column): Current Count

Here's some screen shots on how I would do it.

SPWhenItemCreated.pngWhen SharePoint Item Created

SPApplytoEach.pngApply to Each

Hope that helps,

Piper

Edit: Corrected Apply to Each image

crystalhowat
Level: Powered On

@Piper What if the item being counted is a choice field? 

I'm trying to do the very same flow, but I need to allocate the count to the specific column, based on the choice.

To give some context, we are recruiting candidates for a job. For each candidate, we need to record the source of how we recruited them (radio, newspaper, job board, etc). There are about twenty different options and we want to count how many come from each source.

I tried working through your excellent instructions, but from this, I'm guessing I either need to set up a sharepoint list for each source, or a flow for each source.

Piper
Level 8

@crystalhowat

The complexity depends on what the list you are updating looks like. The example the original poster gave was a rows of dates with a count column.

Is yours rows of sources with a count column (narrow and deep) or is it a single row with 20 source count columns (wide and not deep)?

With that information I can better suggest a solution.

Thanks,

Piper

crystalhowat
Level: Powered On

@Piper It is wide and not deep? lol...

I have one row for each date and 20 source count columns. I would provide a screen shot but I cannot even get it all in the frame to capture it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 259 members 5,751 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: