Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Chris_Meyer
Level: Powered On

Upload of Excel file and usage of data

Hi all,

I´ld like to create a flow with an upload option for an Excel file. The information in the Excel file shall be used to create new datasets in Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations. I´ve tried it for hour and with several approaches to reach the goal but didn´t get a solution, yet. 

Has anybody an idea how to solve it? 

Thanks in advance and best regards

Chris

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Re: Upload of Excel file and usage of data

Hi @Chris_Meyer 

Could you please explain where you uploading the excel file? What's the content of the excel file? 

Flow can read excel file? There are excel connectors in flow. Once to get the rows you should be able to create records in D365.

image.png

To run a flow you need a trigger. You can run flow manually by pressing a button or when a file is uploaded in SharePoint or FileSystem.

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Chris_Meyer

Hi @abm,

if you use the button trigger you can add a document. Here I want to add the Excel file per run:

(Sorry for German language in the screenshots)

image.png

The Excel file has a simple structure:

image.png

It´s easy to upload datasets from an Excel file which is saved on the Sharepoint or in OneDrive. 

But I don´t have the file there. It´s on my client and I want to upload the file with the button trigger. I´ve tried to save the data of this file in an existing file on the sharepoint, convert the worksheet to a table and then upload the data. But I get error messages because inchecking, outchecking and shared usage issues.

Kind regards

Chris

Super User
Super User

Hi @Chris_Meyer 

Thanks for your reply. Could you post a screenshot of your flow and error message you are getting.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Chris_Meyer

Hi @abm,

yes. But unfortunatelly I wasn´t able to change the language. I do not find the setting 😞

The Flow is split into two parts now.

In the first part the run gets triggered by a button and the file gets attached. The second step is not important and could be skipped. The metadata of an existing xlsx-file gets loaded. In the third step the same file gets updated with the content of the xlsx-file from the button trigger. The last step starts the second Flow to upload the data in Dynamics 365.

image.png

The second Flow also gets triggered by a button. But this should by skiped if the first flow starts the second one.

The datasets from the xlsx-file gets inquired.

For testing purposes I´ve changed the next step. Instead of loading up to D365 I´m creating a notification.

image.png

The error message occures in the first Flow in the step of updating the existing file:

image.png

Body:

"message": "The file https://XXX.com/XX/XX/XX/FLOW_UPLOAD.xlsx is locked for shared use by XX.XX@XXX.com [membership].\r\nclientRequestId: c7d11001-42f5-4f45-8a2a-8e4461f8690e\r\nserviceRequestId: d1ef2d9f-90ca-a000-7c2d-80fd6773cb46;d1ef2d9f-80ce-a000-7c2d-809fd0ec4003",
"status": 423

The user XX.XX@XXX.com is my user account.

Thanks in advance

Chris  

Super User
Super User

Hi @Chris_Meyer 

Could you please checkout the file before the update. After the update use the checkin flow action to checkin the file back.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,144)