cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ERG-IT-CW
Level: Powered On

Upon updating Excel file in Sharepoint, update/add tasks in Planner per row?

Hi,

I am looking to create a Flow which does the following:

1. An asset list (on an Excel Spreadsheet with an ODBC link to our SQL database) is reuploaded/updated to a Sharepoint. (NOTE: This was done as a ringfence/sense of security was requested)
  2. Once this happens each row in the spreadsheet is added as a task in Planner.
  3. If a task already exists for that row, the task is updated with new details.

Is this possible? Are there better ways in which I can use Planner to update the status of an asset (Working, In Repair, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Upon updating Excel file in Sharepoint, update/add tasks in Planner per row?

Hi @ERG-IT-CW,

Could you provide more explanation about your needs?

From the information you provided, I probably sorted it into:

1. When the Excel file is updated, you need to update the corresponding Excel file on SharePoint library. This needs to consider which behavior is used as a trigger of the flow, update the Excel file or update the SharePoint library document. "When an item is created or modified" is available
  2. Use the information in the excel file as the fill content of Create a task action. Here you need to determine what to use as the task title. This is important for judging whether the task exists. I don't know what the specific details of your Excel are. Because the current Create a task action can be configured with limited content. Could you provide more details about it?
  3. The third step you could use the list tasks action to list all the tasks, then check if it already exists, the existing ones will be updated, and if they do not exist, a new task will be created.

It would be helpful if you could post more details and we would provide a proper workaround for you.

Best Regards,

Barry

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
ERG-IT-CW
Level: Powered On

Re: Upon updating Excel file in Sharepoint, update/add tasks in Planner per row?

Hi @v-bacao-msft,

Thank you for responding.

Basically, our needs are we have an asset list as a spreadsheet that will be updated with 3 statuses:

Functioning

In Repair

To Be Replaced

This spreadsheet is saved in a Sharepoint. Whenever this spreadsheet is updated it must reflect in Planner.

It also needs to work the opposite way - someone moves a task in Planner form Functioning to In Repair, it must reflect in the spreadsheet too.

The spreadsheet is only here as a ringfence to our SQL database (as the offline/non-Sharepoint Excel file as a link to an Assets table)

I know my other option would be to just have a direct link to our SQL Server which updates the Asset table's status (Functioning/In Repair/To Be Replaced), so I guess we just need confidence in the security of Flow working with our on-premises SQL database.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 378 members 4,770 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: