Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

User inputs Approver(s) Email - Approval Workflow

Hi, 

I am looking to build an approval workflow that allows the person requesting the approval to input who the approval should be sent to. 

I have linked my Flow to SharePoint so it can be selected there, the next step I want is to input an email for the approval to be sent to. This is because it is not always the manager of the person or the same person(s) approving documents within SharePoint so needs to be able to be flexible. 

Ideally I would utilise the Request Sign Off Functionality but we want to write back the approvals to a SharePoint list log and currently there is no way to personalise this standard function to add on these additional steps otherwise it would have been fit for purpose. 

Does anyone know of a way to be able to enable a way to input an approver(s) email manually? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

I did this by using a "For a Selected Item" trigger, and adding input fields that I needed, including Approver's emails. If the input field is emails, it will use the email lookup when you type the user's name. It can be one or multiple approvers. My flow was working in the older Approval process where it was parallel for all approvers, and "everyone" had to approve, but things have changed recently on the Approval side, and I've not gone into that yet, but this is an answer for how to get your flow started with the approval emails....

Do note that if you use multiple approver emails, they all are grouped into a single input with semicolons between each email. Depending on your use case, you may need to parse them.

trigger.PNGtrigger2.PNG

The Function value is --> split(variables('ApproverEmailVariable'),';')

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

I did this by using a "For a Selected Item" trigger, and adding input fields that I needed, including Approver's emails. If the input field is emails, it will use the email lookup when you type the user's name. It can be one or multiple approvers. My flow was working in the older Approval process where it was parallel for all approvers, and "everyone" had to approve, but things have changed recently on the Approval side, and I've not gone into that yet, but this is an answer for how to get your flow started with the approval emails....

Do note that if you use multiple approver emails, they all are grouped into a single input with semicolons between each email. Depending on your use case, you may need to parse them.

trigger.PNGtrigger2.PNG

The Function value is --> split(variables('ApproverEmailVariable'),';')

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks will give this a try and let you know how I get on 🙂 

Highlighted

Hi @Mohoelx

This worked well, I have not yet included the string array yet, but would this help with the issue I am now having where by I want to collect all the approval responses & approver names in a Sharepoint list. What is happening now is that it is creating a new line entry in my list when writing back these details into SP for each approver/comments. But I want it all to be in the same line entry, so there is only 1 entry in my list per item selected to be approved. 

Thanks 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (15,998)