Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
yuruker
Level: Powered On

Using Excel for Approval Flow Emails

Dear All,

I am trying to create an Approval Flow with several stages. In the beginning, I am using Get Manager function and Get User (there is a place for manual email entry) seperately and create approval flows. Up to that point, it is going fine. But then I need to continue my flow with the approval's of the another department that has different emails for different approval steps. Therefore I am using an Excel file with emails of these approvers. This is where I am having a problem. While extracting those emails from the Excel, I am using "Get a Row" function and automatically it turns into "Apply to each". This is also fine. But the problem starts, when I am using this emails in my approvals, because, it also converts approval area to "Apply to Each". So I am receiving email everytime someone responds, not after all responses are complete. It is creating a little mess as I am not the only one who will use this flow, and people can't be sure when their flow will be totally completed. Is there a way to optimize this system? I've added some screenshots for your information. Any kind of feedback or ideas will be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your attention and support. 

I wish you a great day.

Best Regards,

Yigit Yürüker

Flow - 1.PNG

Flow - 2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Using Excel for Approval Flow Emails

Create a string variable before you enter your loop.  Call it something like ApproverEmails. In the Apply to Each loop where you are retrieving the Approvers emails append each email to the string variable followed by a semicolon. When you exit the loop create one Approval Action where the Approvers are the ApproverEmails variable. When the Approval returns you can check the outcome and send an email based on what happened.  That way you only have one Approval.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @yuruker ,

The reason for Apply to each here is that you use List rows present in a table action and reference the Dynamic content it outputs.

I want to know how the data in the Excel table relates to Approvers.

Each row represents an Approver, and it needs to perform approvals in order?

Please provide more details.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
yuruker

Hello @v-bacao-msft ,

Excel table stores the emails of the approvers. That is why, I have to extract those emails from the excel. So, everytime Flow extracts the email from the excel file, it starts an approval process. That is fine. But unfortunately, it also sends me email of every approvers answer. I would like to have 1 single email in the end, telling me if it has been approved or rejected. 

yuruker

@RezaDorrani @abm @Pstork1 

Any chance you, Flow Masters, can guide me out this problem? 

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Create a string variable before you enter your loop.  Call it something like ApproverEmails. In the Apply to Each loop where you are retrieving the Approvers emails append each email to the string variable followed by a semicolon. When you exit the loop create one Approval Action where the Approvers are the ApproverEmails variable. When the Approval returns you can check the outcome and send an email based on what happened.  That way you only have one Approval.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

yuruker

I don't know what to say, marvelous!! Thank you for your time and effort. Very appreciated! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,908)