cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Flow for automatic Project numbers in SharePoint Online List

Hi,

I want to use flow to get a new ProjectNumber (PR00001 ++).

I already have the flow updating the projectnumber by 1 when a new item is added to the Project List.

The projectnumber is located in a list named AutoNumbers and the field ProjectNumbers in ProjectList is a lookupfield towards the +1 Projectnumber in te autonumbers list.

I am now struggeling with the lookupfield, as al the ProjectNumber fields are being updated to the newest project... Every project needs a unique number...

Could somebody help me please?

Thanks a lot!!2019-01-16 21_50_24-.png2019-01-16 21_52_08-SIT-Projecten - AutoNummers - All Items.png2019-01-16 21_53_19-Projecten - All Items.png

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SBerendsen,

I am afraid I did not fully understand the role of the lookup column.

Could you provide more details about this lookup column?

The reason why all ProjectNumbers are the same seems to be because the AutoNumbers list contains only one item.

Could you provide a full screenshot of your Flow configuration? Perhaps other actions are updating this field.

Please provide more details and we would find proper workaround for you.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Advocate II
Advocate II

So, I don't have time to check this out myself but I think this might work, building off of @v-bacao-msft.

It looks like he is correct in that it is pulling the same entry because there is only one entry to pull. Try configuring the flow like this.

1. When an item is created (Project)
  2. Create an item (Auto-Number)
  3. Update Item (Project)
    1. Update the Project that was just created
    2. Set the Project Number to the on the project to the correct field from the Aut-Number entry that was just created.

Now, a simpler answer would be to use a calculated column in the Project list. Set the value to =CONCATENATE("PR",TEXT(ID,"000000"))

Each time a new entry is added it will increment. The only issue is that if you needed the project to appear in the list more than once, this would not work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Power Platform: 2021 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April through September 2021.

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (29,913)