Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mark_Aston
Level: Power Up

Using Flow to cascade the Account status to the Contact in Dynamics

Hi all,

Just started with Flow and need a bit of help.  We have a Dynamics requirement whereby if a user deactivates or reactivates an account record, to cascade the status (Active or Inactive) to all the contact records associated with the account.

I've used an automated flow template (When an account is updated in Dynamics 365, update the related contacts) to perform this action but it needs amending so that the Flow only runs when the Account is deactivated or reactivated.  Here is what I have so far...

1.pngFlow steps

Here are the settings for the first step in the Flow.  Can I set the value here so that the Flow is triggered on a deactivate or reactivate?

2.pngSettings for "When a record is updated"

Let me know your thoughts, can I do what I need within this template or should I build from scratch?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Using Flow to cascade the Account status to the Contact in Dynamics

Hi @Mark_Aston ,

If you have a corresponding Flow plan, you could use CDS-When a record is updated as a trigger.

Attribute filters will ensure the event trigger is only invoked when the specified attributes are updated.

45.PNG

Then you could use Condition to determine if the specified property value is equal to the expected value.

It is also worth noting that when configuring Filter Query, if the type of the field is string, you need to add single quotes outside the parameters.

44.PNG

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

HI @Mark_Aston 

Currently flow does not support monitoring the trigger to a specific column/ field on Dynamics. Therefore, even if a single field is updated, the flow will be triggered as the record was updated. You might want to do something like this:

When a record is updated -> list records (use the filter query) -> apply to each record and add an action update record, and select teh fields for the status code and reason from the dynamic selector of the when a record is updated action. Makes sense?

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Super User
Super User

@Mark_Aston 

Hi there - You might also consider keeping this all in D365 with a workflow.  There might even be one already native which only needs to be activated.

I did find this article from Sarah, it might be useful, "Iterate over child entities in Dynamics 365 using Microsoft Flow"

Keep us posted.

-Ed-

If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Mark_Aston ,

If you have a corresponding Flow plan, you could use CDS-When a record is updated as a trigger.

Attribute filters will ensure the event trigger is only invoked when the specified attributes are updated.

45.PNG

Then you could use Condition to determine if the specified property value is equal to the expected value.

It is also worth noting that when configuring Filter Query, if the type of the field is string, you need to add single quotes outside the parameters.

44.PNG

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 175 members 5,245 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: