cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanSil

Using Flow to lookup between lists

Having been at this for hours, i feel like I'm not going anyway..read way to many posts and confusing myself. I'm a new use to flow so am getting lost easily.

I am building an approval flow, and need some conditions at the front to know where to tell the approval to do to.

I've got a few lists setup for this.

1st list is the item that the approver will need to review after they get notified. This is created by any user in my team. The field I want to look-up in that is the "created by". This list also has a currency dollar value field.

2nd list has the 365 people name field and a currency field called Limit.

I'm trying to get to the point of setting a variable so I can use a condition to see if the dollar value of the 1st list item is greater than the Limit for that user on the 2nd list. 

have no idea how to get it to do the lookup. any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tom_riha
Super User II
Super User II

Hello @DanSil ,

you can do a "lookup" by adding 'Get items' action to the 2nd list, where you will filter only for the user who created the item in the 1st list. When filtering on 'People or Group' column, you need to use one of the user properties, I personally prefer the user email address. So you can add the following Query Filter into the 'Get items' action that will search for a user with the same email address as the user who created the item has: 

<User>/EMail eq '<Created By Email>'

<User> = replace with the 'Person or Group' column in your 2nd list

<Created By Email> = replace with the dynamic content 'Created By Email'

image.png

Then you just take the dynamic content with $ value from the original item and compare it with dynamic content Limit from the 'Get items' action.

[ If I have answered your question, please Accept the post as a solution. ]
[ If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ]

[ I also blog about Power Automate solutions even for non-IT people. ]

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
tom_riha
Super User II
Super User II

Hello @DanSil ,

you can do a "lookup" by adding 'Get items' action to the 2nd list, where you will filter only for the user who created the item in the 1st list. When filtering on 'People or Group' column, you need to use one of the user properties, I personally prefer the user email address. So you can add the following Query Filter into the 'Get items' action that will search for a user with the same email address as the user who created the item has: 

<User>/EMail eq '<Created By Email>'

<User> = replace with the 'Person or Group' column in your 2nd list

<Created By Email> = replace with the dynamic content 'Created By Email'

image.png

Then you just take the dynamic content with $ value from the original item and compare it with dynamic content Limit from the 'Get items' action.

[ If I have answered your question, please Accept the post as a solution. ]
[ If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ]

[ I also blog about Power Automate solutions even for non-IT people. ]

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

Users online (48,501)