cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bf
Frequent Visitor

Using If function while building an array

I'm trying to process some data from a webhook where one object is an array. The results populate a word document template.

Amongst other strings that work fine, the array is called "selected_items" and The array fields are "heading", "description" and "quantity"

Sometimes the description is empty and the quantity is 0

What I want to achieve is that when the description is empty, the value is set to the same as the heading value and the heading value is blank

I also want the quantity field to be blank when it is zero.

I tried using the if function when appending the data to a variable, however when I open the function those fields from the array are no longer visible. Ideally I'd like to have something like: if heading == "", "title", "heading"

or: if quantity == 0, '', quantity

Hope you can help

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
v-yujincui-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @bf , 

Sometimes, we can use expressions to get invisible fields in dynamic content.

I have made a test for your reference.

item()?['Title']
item()?['selected_items/heading']
if(empty(item()?['selected_items/description']),item()?['selected_items/heading'],item()?['selected_items/description'])
if(equals(item()?['selected_items/quantity'],'0'),'',item()?['selected_items/quantity'])
item()?['ID']
vyujincuimsft_0-1651046245368.pngvyujincuimsft_1-1651046264487.png

vyujincuimsft_2-1651046367107.png

Result Screenshot:

vyujincuimsft_3-1651045520397.png

Best Regards,

Charlie Choi

View solution in original post

bf
Frequent Visitor

After further playing around I have solved it.

The expressions need to be, respectively:

if(empty(items('Build_Line_Items')?['description']),'',items('Build_Line_Items')?['heading'])
if(empty(items('Build_Line_Items')?['description']),items('Build_Line_Items')?['heading'],items('Build_Line_Items')?['description'])
if(equals(items('Build_Line_Items')?['quantity'],'0'),'',items('Build_Line_Items')?['quantity'])

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yujincui-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @bf , 

Sometimes, we can use expressions to get invisible fields in dynamic content.

I have made a test for your reference.

item()?['Title']
item()?['selected_items/heading']
if(empty(item()?['selected_items/description']),item()?['selected_items/heading'],item()?['selected_items/description'])
if(equals(item()?['selected_items/quantity'],'0'),'',item()?['selected_items/quantity'])
item()?['ID']
vyujincuimsft_0-1651046245368.pngvyujincuimsft_1-1651046264487.png

vyujincuimsft_2-1651046367107.png

Result Screenshot:

vyujincuimsft_3-1651045520397.png

Best Regards,

Charlie Choi

bf
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delayed response. It is good to know that these things can be hidden. The issue I am having is that the array I need to work with is coming from a webhook and does not include an ID or title. When I try your code above I just get "null" for the fields.

Here is a snip from my flow. the selected_items array in the Build Line Items object is straight from the http request received

bf_0-1655858102747.png

Any way I can do this without such title and id fields?

bf
Frequent Visitor

After further playing around I have solved it.

The expressions need to be, respectively:

if(empty(items('Build_Line_Items')?['description']),'',items('Build_Line_Items')?['heading'])
if(empty(items('Build_Line_Items')?['description']),items('Build_Line_Items')?['heading'],items('Build_Line_Items')?['description'])
if(equals(items('Build_Line_Items')?['quantity'],'0'),'',items('Build_Line_Items')?['quantity'])

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (3,458)