cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Using Microsoft Flow to copy SharePoint Folders

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out how to create a on demand flow that will create folders and sub folders. Or simply a flow to copy a template folder.

We want users to upload data from various jobs using a standardized folder structure.  

All folders will be created on the same site, within the same document library. 

I've search and try to find a solution, but the only article I've came across requires the Plumsail plugin. I am looking for an alternative since Plumsail is a paid add on. 

In short I am attempting to do the following

• Alow users to use flow to copy folders structure 
  • Allow users to rename root folder durring copy 

Example of folder structure below......

Root project folder (renamed durring flow)

Sub Folder 1

Folder 1

Folder 2

Sub Folder 2

Folder 1

Folder 2

Any ideas? 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Using Microsoft Flow to copy SharePoint Folders

Hi @markal09,

Do you want to copy all the folders in the Root project folder and create a new Root folder to save those foders in sharepoint library?

If there is no file in the Root project folder and the sub folder of the Root project folder, I afraid that it is difficult to achieve you requirement in microsoft flow currently.

Simply copy a folder and it's sub folder is not supported in microsoft flow currently,

I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Microsoft flow support to create a file and when you create a file, you could specify file path, you could achieve your requirement by create a new file with a new file path as an alternative way,

For your situation, you could create a file in the Folder 1 and Folder 2 in the Sub Folder 1 and create a file in the Folder 1 and Folder 2 in the Sub Folder 2, then you could by create the four files to achieve your needs.

Best regards,

Alice

Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator

Hey, @markal09!

It appears as though @v-yuazh-msft would like some more information in order to further assist you properly with your issue. Please share any additional information that was requested in order to decrease the amount of time that it will take for you to be assisted!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel
Flow Community Manager

-Gabriel
Microsoft Power Automate Community Manager
Are YOU a member of your local Power Automate User Group?
Fill out This Form to claim your Community User Group Member Badge!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your response Alice

Creating folders with sub folders instead of copying folders will work as well. 

We want to give the users the ability to name the top level folder that they would be creating will dictating the sub folders name.

For example We have the document library with several folders that represent each of our locations. 

In our California library we would like to create a flow that would allow users to create a folder structure on demand.

Below is an example 

Sharepoint/shareddocuments/California

User entered foldername "initial folder created by Flow" 

Subfolder standard 1

Subfolder standard 1-1

Subfolder standard 1-2

Subfolder standard 2

Subfolder standard 2-1

Subfolder standard 2-1

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I've asked around and it seems the only option that I've come across is Plumsail. 

I am able to accomplish my task but I am left with questions. 

• How do I publish a flow button on SharePoint?
  • How do I give a user the ability to name the folder instead of the "user name". Can I use a variable that allows them to enter a name at the begaining of the flow? 

Please view the flow below...

Folder flow 1_LI.jpgFolder Flow 2_LI.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,574)