cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Using Power Automate to validate metadata for a file uploaded to SharePoint and ping a user if required metadata is missing

I'm trying to build a flow that will trigger when a user uploads a file to a SharePoint library, check to see whether three required metadata fields have been populated, and ping the user to go add the info if they have not been.  But I'm being stymied by the dynamic content.  According to this blog post, the "when a file is created (properties only)" trigger should let you leverage at least some metadata for files--it's not clear whether this is basic columns only or columns I have defined--but the demo in the blog at least shows [Modified] and [Created] as fields that are available.  When I use the connector, the only dynamic content available to me is "List of Items", and I can't find any documentation on how to interact with that. 

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mparowski ,

When a file is created (properties only) will return metadata, custom column, and some basic file information.

Please try to re-create the SharePoint Online connection and create a new Flow.

When configuring the trigger, it is recommended to use the options in the drop-down list to configure the Site Address and Library Name.

Like:

71.PNG

In addition, if you want to use the Dynamic content output by the trigger to configure the fields in the action below, then you need to pay attention to whether the types match. If they do not match, there may be no options in the Dynamic content list.

Like:

72.PNG

If you quote Dynamic content when you configure expression, there may be no options available, we need to adjust according to different situations.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

So once I saved my flow I saw an error that a required column in my Library (which is a site column lookup to a list elsewhere on the site) is not supported by the flow. @#$#@*(!

This is one of the fields that I need to validate.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mparowski ,

When a file is created (properties only) will return metadata, custom column, and some basic file information.

Please try to re-create the SharePoint Online connection and create a new Flow.

When configuring the trigger, it is recommended to use the options in the drop-down list to configure the Site Address and Library Name.

Like:

71.PNG

In addition, if you want to use the Dynamic content output by the trigger to configure the fields in the action below, then you need to pay attention to whether the types match. If they do not match, there may be no options in the Dynamic content list.

Like:

72.PNG

If you quote Dynamic content when you configure expression, there may be no options available, we need to adjust according to different situations.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

The solution does not address the last post by OP regarding site columns.  I'm receiving the same error:

Flow save failed with code 'DynamicOperationRequestClientFailure' and message 'The dynamic operation request to API 'sharepointonline' operation 'GetTable' failed with status code 'BadRequest'. This may indicate invalid input parameters. Error response: { "status": 400, "message": "The required field \"Plant Lookup\" data type is not supported\r\nclientRequestId: f6e3ef68-4b86-4b82-b7c5-f5b529669b3d\r\nserviceRequestId: f6e3ef68-4b86-4b82-b7c5-f5b529669b3d" }'.

This list contains a Title field and a site column with no other fields.  Limiting the columns by view does not change the result.  It appears that using a site lookup column prevents using power automate automated triggers.  That is disappointing that a site column is not supported by power automate.  A site lookup column prevents having to replicate data in every subsite.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,982)