cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ching
Level: Powered On

Using conditions with 'get rows' in excel

I have a flow the occurs once a day based on who applied to my form (which transports to an excel sheet). I want the flow to only grab new submissions and send the new submissions the emails, however, everyone on the list is sent the emails. I wanted to set a condition where the at first __PowerAppsId__ is blank, could be the condition, but it does not show up in the dynamic portion.

Mainly looking how to only run flow on the responses that has not been run on already.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Using conditions with 'get rows' in excel

Hi @ching,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow’s configuration?

The _PowerAppsId_ column would be populated with a unique ID automatically when a record is added into the Excel file, so I don’t think “_PowerAppsId_ is blank” could be used as a Condition.

I afraid that there is no way to grab new record of Excel file in Microsoft Flow currently, if you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ching

Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 9.51.35 AM.png

Thanks for replying! This is my Flow. I did read that there is not a way to grab rows whenever there is a new submission. Do you have a recommendation on how to set a condition so that only new rows get the next part of the flows. I tried to write an equation inside of my excel sheet so that I can use that as the condition but then an error runs at the "get rows-excel" portion. My main concern is that the same people will get the email again. 

Best,

Mia

Super User
Super User

Hi

Can you add a new column to your excel (let's call it "EmailSent"), so whenever you create a new excel row you leave it empty?

Your flow should send email notifications to all rows with this column with this column value empty, once email notification is sent you can "Update Row" (https://docs.microsoft.com/es-es/connectors/excel/#Update_row) and change the column value to YES.

If you cannot modify Escel table structure, maybe you can store each row "EmailSent" related status info together with row _PowerAppsId_ in an independent data source you create for such purpose

Hope this helps

If anybody solved your question, remember to mark its post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Super User
Super User

duplicated 

Proud to be a Flownaut!

ching

Hi, thank you for replying. I just tried what you suggested and it got past the 'get-rows' and 'condition problem', however, the 'update row' is running an error now. Would I just put "YES" in the change value for "EmailSent"?

Thank you,

Mia

Super User
Super User

Hi

Which is the error you are receiving? 

Sometimes excel actions fail because the file is open, but not sure if this is your case

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Super User
Super User

duplicated

Proud to be a Flownaut!

ching

I think that was the problem, I had the excel document open in another tab. Now the condition went through, however the following steps are not being used on the emails that qualify for the condition that I had set up.

Thank you so much for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 4,680 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: