cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
powerflows
Frequent Visitor

Using environment variables for a flow trigger

Hi, how can I use environment variables in the trigger of the flow. For example, I use the trigger "when a new response is submitted" of Microsoft Forms. I want to use the form "A" for the flow "F1" and the form "B" for the flow "F2". Those forms should be saved as environment variables.

I hope someone can help me 

3 REPLIES 3
yashkamdar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello Team,

You can either directly hard code the Form Names in those triggers so that the Flow always refers to a particular form or use an Environment variable using the article as a reference.

Environment variable - https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/environment-variables-available-in-preview/

For Flow you might need to navigate a bit to the bottom side of the above article, in the first part PowerApps is explained and then Power Automate.

In case you are okay with hard coding

For example, all my Forms are available, I can just go ahead and choose one of the forms for a particular flow.

yashkamdar_0-1600349642998.png

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

This article doesn't really have any information on using the environment variable in the trigger, though. I'd love to hear if anyone has some info on that!

jimr1
Regular Visitor

I recently tried to use an environment variable on 'when a new response is submitted' and it does not appear to want to accept dynamic content. 

My current workaround is to put a comment / note on the issue to change the 'custom value' for the form id (which is the first step in the flow). I also store the form id in an environment variable, as further down in the flow I need to use the 'Get Response Details' details which also needs the form id, so rather than update it to two locations, when promoting any future changes to production, I only change one.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

New Process Advisor Capabilities carousel.png

Read the blog for the latest news

Read the latest about new experiences and capabilities in the Power Automate product blog.

PA Survey Carousel Image.png

We want to hear from you!

If you are a small business ISV/Reseller, share your thoughts with our research team.

Users online (3,040)