Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vargas
Advocate I
Advocate I

Using flow to create Process from arriving Excel Attachment

Hello,

I am trying to create a Flow starting from the arrival of an Email with a specific Excel Attachment.

The Mail is always from the same Sender with a specific Value in the Subject so it's possible to specify in the Trigger, the Excel File also always has the same Name.

The Process itself is uploading the arriving Excel File to SPO and continuing from there with Listing up specific Rows and sending that Data to further work with it.

There are 2 major Problems with it.

1. As the Excel Actions in Flow can only be used on an already existing Excel File, the Attachments must always have the same Name so that they can overwrite the previous Version, which sometimes fails as SPO says the File is locked even tough it wasn't touched in over a day.

2. Even when the new Excel File overwrites the old one this sometimes messes with the Action "list up rows in a table" as the table Value gets changed and so the Flow fails.

If there are any ways to avoid these Issues please let me know. I am aware that using SPO Lists or updating an Excel that is already in SPO would be much easier but as of now they want me to try starting the Process from the arrival of the Email.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Vargas ,

I am afraid that the function in the Excel connector currently does not support such operations. As you described, if you want to get the data in the table, the corresponding Excel file needs to exist in order to parse the table.

Although we can now use the File identifier to configure List rows present in a table action, it seems difficult to achieve your needs.

You could refer to this link for more details about Excel connector:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/excelonlinebusiness/#known-issues-and-limitations

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Vargas ,

I am afraid that the function in the Excel connector currently does not support such operations. As you described, if you want to get the data in the table, the corresponding Excel file needs to exist in order to parse the table.

Although we can now use the File identifier to configure List rows present in a table action, it seems difficult to achieve your needs.

You could refer to this link for more details about Excel connector:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/excelonlinebusiness/#known-issues-and-limitations

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (952)