cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pjmendes
Level: Powered On

Using name from email fails

Hello everyone,

I'm having some issues with using the Name component from New email action.

Whenever I try to use it the action just crashes without any error (if you try to expand it after running it doesn't show anything).

The steps to reproduce are easy:

Firs action "on new email"

Send an email with the "Name" in the subject.

I tried with sending an email and inserting an excel row (this is where I actually need the name).

Is any of you having the same issue?

Thank you for your help!

Best Regards

Pedro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
efialtes
Level 8

Re: Using name from email fails

Does the email come with at least one file attached?

"Name" seems to be the name of the attached file with the extension also. In case more than on file is attached, I think the following actions are executed on a recursive way (one per file attached).

Please find enclosed an example of a flow using "Name". Please note in this example "On new email" trigger includes settings to be executed only if email has an attachment (not shown on the screenshot)

Email_name.png

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
cpierich
Level: Power Up

Where is "Name" coming from? Is it populated? If you're trying to insert from a previous step and it doesn't have data in it I've found that the flow will fail.

pjmendes

Name is a property field from "On new email" action. I recon it is the name of the person sending the email (like it is displayed on outlook: John Doe <john.doe@outlook.com>. Name should be the "John Doe" part...I hoped.

Anyway one thing is to give an error when the property is empty. The flow may fail depending on how you use it but IT WILL say the value cannot be null. This is failling with no error, the step it is used just crashes and shows no error. Oh and by the way, it will say the flow ran successfuly!

Highlighted
cpierich
Level: Power Up

Can you add a screen shot of your flow of where you have the "Name" field coming from?

pjmendes

This flow will run successfully failing to send the email:

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

efialtes
Level 8

Does the email come with at least one file attached?

"Name" seems to be the name of the attached file with the extension also. In case more than on file is attached, I think the following actions are executed on a recursive way (one per file attached).

Please find enclosed an example of a flow using "Name". Please note in this example "On new email" trigger includes settings to be executed only if email has an attachment (not shown on the screenshot)

Email_name.png

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

pjmendes

Ah! That explains it all! No direct way to get that name then (have to investigate any indirect possibilities)! 😞

Anyway, thank you for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,962)