cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Using the new "Upload Attachment" in Microsoft Forms

The ability to add an Attachment to a Microsoft Form has hit my tenant - really exciting. I want to be able to attach the uploaded file in an email flow or at least the URL to the target location.

I tested adding the uploaded file in a flow but rather than the attachment I get a file with the following data:

[{"name":"FILE_NAME","link":"https://MYDOMAIN/personal/myaccount/Documents/Apps/Microsoft%20Forms/FORM_NAME/Question/PICTURE_UPLOADED.jpg","id":"BLAHBLAHBLAH","type":null,"size":YADAYADA,"referenceId":"BLAHBLAHBLAH","driveId":"BLAHBLAHBLAH","status":1,"uploadSessionUrl":null}]

-How can I strip this file back to the URL alone or include the actual attachment?

38 REPLIES 38
Highlighted

Hi! @yashag2255 

Thank you for your tutorial, it definitely helps this girl who knows nothing about any of this. lol

I don't currently make it a requirement that the Form has to have an attachment, however if no attachment is present the flow fails.  This is what I get...

InvalidTemplate. Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Parse_JSON' inputs at line '1' and column '24264': 'Required property 'content' expects a value but got null. Path ''.'.

Any help on getting this to work without there being an attachment?

THANK YOU

Highlighted

Hey @tsg 

I went through the same. You can use a condition to avoid this error based on whether the upload template answer is blank. (I have multiple questions with potential to upload files, so you should only need one condition if you have one upload question). 

upload.JPGupoad2.JPG

Highlighted

Thanks! I just don't know how to do this, at what step do you insert the condition?  I'm sorry, I am whatever comes before amateur at all of this.

Highlighted

@tsgthe condition would need to come after the response details and before the actions you have to add attachments e.g. in the part of your flow where you want this action to happen. 

Hope that helps. 

Highlighted

I am wondering if there is a better way to make my parse json action variable. Mine is also failing when people don't upload any documents but my flow already has a few condition branches in it so to then add a further couple of branches within each existing branch seems a bit messy.....or maybe I am just lazy??!! :S 

Unfortunately the configure after run is greyed out on the parse json action - this was my go to in attempt to resolve the issue.

Does anyone have any other ideas or is this the only way by implementing condition branch for attachments? 

Highlighted

Hi

It is possible to send  attachments in an approval flow, like you explain in your blog "Working with Files on MS Forms in MS Power Automate" ?

Thanks.

Highlighted

Your instructions are great, and I'm so close to getting my Team Flow to work.  I keep getting this error though:

{
"status": 400,
"message": "The file id '/ACE Tutors/Documents/Apps/Microsoft Forms/Contact a Tutor/Upload/Faculty Focus Day 2019 Catalog_LUANNE HALEY.pdf' is not valid.",
"source": "api.connectorp.svc.ms"
}

This is a Team Flow using a Group Form, as opposed to one that saves files in my personal OneDrive folder.  Do I need to do something specific to tell Flow/Form that this is not in my folder?  ACE Tutors is the name of the Team, and this seems to be the path where I can see every file I've tried to upload, but the flow won't get past this part and send the email with an attachment.

I'd be so grateful if you could help me.  

Thank you!

Luanne

Highlighted

Yash, this blog post is awesome! Thank you so much 😎

Highlighted

Hi Yashag2255,

I've hit a dead end and really need help. I've created a form where multiple attachments can be uploaded and then I go to an approval process. This works fine using the "Append to Array Variable" action with 

{

"Name": "@{items('Apply_to_each')['name']}",

"Content": @{base64(body('Get_file_content_using_path'))}

}

I use "Content" and not "ContentBytes" for my approval process, because it doesn't work if i add the word "Bytes".

The problem is that I then want to send an email if the outcome is equal to Approve, but the email gives me the following error - Parameter 'Attachment Content' cannot be null or empty.
clientRequestId: 8a4e6d6f-dcf1-400d-8c77-81eb7ed76a5e

I've followed your link https://www.bythedevs.com/post/working-with-files-on-ms-forms-in-ms-power-automate to send an email with multiple attachments and that works perfectly if my "Append to Array Variable" action uses "ContentBytes" but not with "Content" only.

How can I get this to work in a single flow?

Highlighted

Hi @yashag2255 for your post, it helped me a lot!

I'm having an error on the "Send an email (V2)" step:

Flow errorFlow error

I've followed your instructions and the Send Email step has a To, Subject and Body fields, but the error shows they're missing:

Flow configurationFlow configuration

Can you help me?

Highlighted

Luanne im also hitting same issue. Right now i temporarily have the link to the list item. Its weird be cause i also have a email flow doing the same thing and it attaches attachment to a sharepoint list no problem.

Tried following Yash and Gareth videos but no luck. I even tried hard naming the file as i verified the file exists in the correct folder. Nothing. 

Highlighted

Thank you!

Highlighted

Yash:  I read your article on attachments, It is really helpful!!!!

I have replicated single attachments flow successfully.  But I can not get multiple attachments working.  I got an error message of "The request failed. Error code: 'InvalidRequestContent'. Error Message: 'The request content was invalid and could not be deserialized: 'Could not find member 'ContentBytes' on object of type 'ApprovalsConnectorAttachment'. Path 'attachments[0].ContentBytes', line 1, position 920.'.'."

I guess the attachments object can not be serialized correctly.  BTW. I am using start and wait for an approval action instead of send email action.

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Hi @BMX 

For approvals action, it is just "content" and not "ContentBytes". Can you make this change and try again? 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Highlighted

Thanks.  I actually change the process and load the attachment to SharePoint docs 

Highlighted

Can you clarify how to get the attachments to be included in the email?

I followed your blog, and I watched the YouTube video with JL, but I am still not clear as to how to get the multiple attachments into the email. In my case, I have them first populating into a SP list (figured that part out), but then I also want them to be included in the email.

In your blog, I'm stuck on what exactly to put in the email attachments field. I’m not sure what this underlined language means and how to do it: 

"Step: Action: Send email action: select the array input and then pass the above created array in the attachments field."

Which content exactly (dynamic?/expression?) should I be choosing/inserting into the email attachments field? 

• I don't have the "Append to Array Variable" available for selection in dynamic content.
  • Am I supposed to combine something, or create some expression to insert? 

Thanks—help much appreciated.

Highlighted

Hi @abracken 

We created another video for multiple attachments that you can view here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNC8q6NzBEc

In the send email action, you first click the button near attachments option and switch from individual attachments so that it accepts an array and  then in the input you pass the array from the dynamic content (this is the array that you have initialized at the top and have been populating it with the attachment content)

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Highlighted

@yashag2255 Thank you so much for your wonderful videos, blog and notes.  I have spent a lot of time reviewing and watching but I am stuck.

I followed your video on the multiple attachments but when the email is sent you cannot open the attachments.  I cannot figure out where I went wrong?

slatkinson_0-1600967057621.pngslatkinson_1-1600967087129.png

slatkinson_2-1600967129767.pngslatkinson_3-1600967257142.png

Highlighted

Hi @slatkinson 

Can you remove the double quotes from the File Content value in the append to array variable action and try once? 

Hope this Helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,496)