Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TorreyF
Level: Powered On

Vacation Approval flow list to Sharepoint Calendar permissions work around

Hello, 

I need suggestions. 

I have made a vacation approval system with flow. Basically a user submits a vacation request through a sharepoint list, an approval is sent, and when it is approved it creates the vacation time in a Vacation Calendar (which is a Calendar list in sharepoint).

This works, but it really doesn't make sense. You see, I don't want these users to be able to delete, add or edit their vacation time from the calendar list, I want them to do that from the list (or Powerapp), so that an approval can also be pushed out for modifying etc. 

I want everyone in the company to be able to view the vacation calendar, but not change it. But I can't really change the calendar permissions to view only or else the event won't submit to the calendar in the first place correct? They need to have editing permissions in the calendar in order for the flow to work? 

I just don't really know the best way to make this work well. Any suggestions would be helpful. 

1 REPLY 1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Vacation Approval flow list to Sharepoint Calendar permissions work around

Hi @TorreyF 

Your best bet would be to create a staging calendar where data is posted by users and then a Flow kicks off and moves the item to the main calendar

Users have contirbute access to staging calendar

Users have read access on main calendar

The Flow that moves items from staging to main list will run under the context of an account which has contribute permissions on both the lists

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,249)