cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AColdCanadian
Frequent Visitor

Very easily overwhelming MS Flows, both in detecting changes to sharepoint lists, and in writing to sharepoint lists

Hello,

I have some somewhat major issues/flaws with MS Flows.  I can overwhelm the "When a new item is created" connector extremely easily.  In addition, In the same flow even, MS Flows writes to sharepoint lists so slowly that its creating race conditions where there shouldn't be any.  I'm including both of these as its apparently issues with the entire sharepoint list connector system.

Issue 1:

I have a Powerapp which writes data to a sharepoint list, after this data is written to the list, some tasks must be completed and other sharepoint lists updated accordingly.  The Flow I use for this is triggered by the "When a new item is created" trigger.  This Flow works correctly, unless I assume my user has their data written down and wants to enter two or more entries sequentially.  So, if I enter data into the list at a rate of approximately 1 entry per 5 seconds for 2 or more items its extremely likely at least one of the entries will never trigger the Flow.  Its not that the flow fails, it just never gets triggered.  However, the data point was successfully written to the triggering sharepoint list.

Issue 2:

In the same testing session, writing data from the app to the sharepoint list at a rate of approximately 1 entry per 5 seconds when I attempt to write data to the same datapoint in a downstream list it will fail the write citing that the cell is locked by another user (another Flow instance). 

How can MS Flows not keep up with a user entering data at a rate of 1 entry per ~5 seconds??  Its not like I'm writing data at it using a script at dozens of entries per second.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AColdCanadian
Frequent Visitor

Solution to Issue #1: I abandoned the Share point trigger and simply used a Powerapps trigger.  This means that I at least trigger the flow consistently now.  However, the share point trigger is still broken

Update: I don't think there is away around this poor performance issue, so, to address Issue #2 I've simply had to write into my form submissions that if a form has been submitted on the same data point in the last 60 seconds that powerapps needs to report an error to the user and ask for re-submission.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AColdCanadian
Frequent Visitor

Solution to Issue #1: I abandoned the Share point trigger and simply used a Powerapps trigger.  This means that I at least trigger the flow consistently now.  However, the share point trigger is still broken

Update: I don't think there is away around this poor performance issue, so, to address Issue #2 I've simply had to write into my form submissions that if a form has been submitted on the same data point in the last 60 seconds that powerapps needs to report an error to the user and ask for re-submission.

View solution in original post

Thank you for the information @AColdCanadian !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (3,833)