cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Want to loop through Excel Online Table Rows, using values in certain column as input for action

So I have a Table in an Online Excel file, with a single column, called "Column1" - what I want to do:

- for each row in the table

- read the value in column 0 of the row

- if it is empty, do nothing

- if it is non-empty, send it as the subject of an email

So if a Table has 5 rows where column 0 is non-empty, I should get 5 emails, each one with the subject as one of the column 0 cell contents.

5 REPLIES 5
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please show a bit more about your Excel table?

Where are your Excel file stored?

Further, could you please share a bit more about the column 0 within the following statement?

@Anonymous wrote:

- read the value in column 0 of the row

I suppose that you want to read the value in Column1 of each row, is it true? I have created a Excel file (whose data formatted as a table) in my OneDrive for Business folder.

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a proper trigger, here I use Flow Button trigger.
  • Add a "Get rows" action, specify File Name and Table Name.
  • Add a "Apply to each" action, input parameter set to output of "Get rows" action.
  • Within "Apply to each" action, add a Condition, click "Edit in advanced mode", type the following formula:
@empty(items('Apply_to_each')?['Column1'])

Within "If/no" branch of Condition, add a "Send an email" action, Subject field set to Column1 dynamic content of "Get rows" action.

Image reference:2.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:3.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Briliant, this worked, thanks - I was using "List All Rows" instead of "Get Rows" - what is the difference?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, so the next thing I need to get right. I want this to run every 4 hours:

- read each row from the Excel table (working)

- each non-empty row is the address of an RSS Feed

- watch each of those feeds for new items

- email each new item link as an email

I've got it working once-off (i.e. read the excel rows once, then continuously scan for new items) - but I need to refresh the read of the Excel file every 4 hours, so that any news feeds added to it will be updated. What makes it tricky for me is that the "When a Feed Item is Published" action is a continuous action that never terminates and moves onto the next step?

Hi @v-xida-msft. I don't see GET ROWS for Excel Online. Only GET A ROW. 

How does one loop through an Excel Online sheet when it wants a Key and Key ID for a single row? I can't seem to find a way to put For Each in there.

Thanks

DAGEM
Frequent Visitor

There's an Action you can search for called Recurrence. This allows you to determine a time frequency for triggering the flow (make sure Recurrence is at the top of your flow). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,519)