cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brucem
Level: Powered On

Want to loop through Excel Online Table Rows, using values in certain column as input for action

So I have a Table in an Online Excel file, with a single column, called "Column1" - what I want to do:

- for each row in the table

- read the value in column 0 of the row

- if it is empty, do nothing

- if it is non-empty, send it as the subject of an email

So if a Table has 5 rows where column 0 is non-empty, I should get 5 emails, each one with the subject as one of the column 0 cell contents.

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Want to loop through Excel Online Table Rows, using values in certain column as input for action

Hi @brucem,

Could you please show a bit more about your Excel table?

Where are your Excel file stored?

Further, could you please share a bit more about the column 0 within the following statement?

@brucem wrote:

- read the value in column 0 of the row

I suppose that you want to read the value in Column1 of each row, is it true? I have created a Excel file (whose data formatted as a table) in my OneDrive for Business folder.

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a proper trigger, here I use Flow Button trigger.
  • Add a "Get rows" action, specify File Name and Table Name.
  • Add a "Apply to each" action, input parameter set to output of "Get rows" action.
  • Within "Apply to each" action, add a Condition, click "Edit in advanced mode", type the following formula:
@empty(items('Apply_to_each')?['Column1'])

Within "If/no" branch of Condition, add a "Send an email" action, Subject field set to Column1 dynamic content of "Get rows" action.

Image reference:2.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:3.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
brucem

Re: Want to loop through Excel Online Table Rows, using values in certain column as input for action

Briliant, this worked, thanks - I was using "List All Rows" instead of "Get Rows" - what is the difference?

brucem

Okay, so the next thing I need to get right. I want this to run every 4 hours:

- read each row from the Excel table (working)

- each non-empty row is the address of an RSS Feed

- watch each of those feeds for new items

- email each new item link as an email

I've got it working once-off (i.e. read the excel rows once, then continuously scan for new items) - but I need to refresh the read of the Excel file every 4 hours, so that any news feeds added to it will be updated. What makes it tricky for me is that the "When a Feed Item is Published" action is a continuous action that never terminates and moves onto the next step?

Super User
Super User

Hi @v-xida-msft. I don't see GET ROWS for Excel Online. Only GET A ROW. 

How does one loop through an Excel Online sheet when it wants a Key and Key ID for a single row? I can't seem to find a way to put For Each in there.

Thanks

DAGEM

There's an Action you can search for called Recurrence. This allows you to determine a time frequency for triggering the flow (make sure Recurrence is at the top of your flow). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,811)