cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RodM
Helper I
Helper I

Weird flow failure to send email to "Person" column from SharePoint list only for certain users

I have a simple SharePoint list flow. When a new item is created it sends an email. The "To" field of this email flow is actually taken from a 'Person' column in a SharePoint list. This is a required field, so it certainly is not blank, however I'm receiving the following flow failure:

Parameter 'To' cannot be null or empty.

The important takeaway is this only happens with a handful of users. Out of 150 users in the organization, only 7 of them have this flow failure every time their name is chosen in the Person column.

To attempt to troubleshoot this item, I created another flow that adds a row to a spreadsheet whenever a new item is created in the SharePoint list. Suspiciously this column is blank as well whenever I choose the user "Email Address". However, I added a column right next to it where it takes the user "Display Name" and the column contains data.

Can anyone explain this weird quirk? Is it possible our Admin missed filling something in when creating these Microsoft accounts?

3 REPLIES 3
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

add a compose just prior to the send an email.  Add the person.email address to the compose.  Then you will know exactly what you are getting when you access that field.  If it is indeed null then you can start looking at that persons profile and Azure AD record to see if there is something missing.

For example in this list I have a person column called approver.  So there is a dynamic content from the item called approver Email

image.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

@Pstork1 ,

Thanks for the quick response. I'd appreciate a little assistance on how to implement this.

I assume on the INPUT of this compose function I chose the Person column of the SharePoint list. I still get the failure, but no additional info on why. I've selected the employee's Display Name, Email, Department, Job Title. But how do I tell what is returned. What am I missing from this test?

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The point is to choose the same dynamic content or function that you are using to fill in the To field in the email.  The point is that then you will be able to check the value being used.  The failed email action won't show you the input.  But loading the same value in a compose first will.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,288)