cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

What are the factors that affect flow trigger time?

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can definitively answer this one. I am interested in understanding what factors would cause delay in a flow triggering once the trigger action has occurred?

We have flows based on record updates within Dynamics using the Dynamics connector and have noticed that sometimes the trigger does not fire until 5 odd minutes later. 

Are there any methods we can use to reduce this latency? Not being sure how long a trigger takes to fire makes it difficult to recommend PowerAutomate flows for items which although not needing to be synchronous, still need to perform faster than "sometime between 1 - 5 minutes".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

First, it should be said that this is dependent on the trigger involved.  But generally Microsoft has been switching many of the webhook based triggers (event driven immediate triggers) to polling based triggers. Polling based triggers are polled every five minutes for a paid license copy of Power Automate.  But since its a polling cycle the trigger can fire anywhere from immediately to about a five minute delay.  It depends on where the action occurs in the polling cycle.  It used to be that you could get a faster polling cycle with a premium license.  But everything now (other than Flow Free) is on a 5 minute polling cycle and that can't be changed as far as I know.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

First, it should be said that this is dependent on the trigger involved.  But generally Microsoft has been switching many of the webhook based triggers (event driven immediate triggers) to polling based triggers. Polling based triggers are polled every five minutes for a paid license copy of Power Automate.  But since its a polling cycle the trigger can fire anywhere from immediately to about a five minute delay.  It depends on where the action occurs in the polling cycle.  It used to be that you could get a faster polling cycle with a premium license.  But everything now (other than Flow Free) is on a 5 minute polling cycle and that can't be changed as far as I know.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

That's a terrible design decision, especially if PowerAutomate is planned to take over from internal workflow at some point. There many many async workflow scenarios which will fail miserably if you have to wait up to 5 minutes for the action to even trigger, never mind run and complete.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (12,819)