cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

What is the simplest way to have text processed by a user-written service as part of a flow?

I'm writing a flow that needs to so some fairly straightforward text processing of incoming emails and then spit the results out into a new email and/or a slack channel.

There are limits to what Power Automate can do, in my case largely because it lacks any kind of regex functionality. What I want to do is write my own service that takes the text from a flow, processes the text, and spits it back into the flow.

I want to be clear, I kind of need to roll my own service, preferably in Python, but it can be in another language like Javascript if it has to be. I do not want to use one of the existing regex solutions because they are way more beefy than I need and the cost just doesn't make sense given the fairly limited scope of what I need.

My questions are:

(A) What is the best/simplest way to do this from within the flow. I'm assuming I do this with some kind of outgoing webhook and then a monitored incoming HTTP request, but if there is a more straighforward way to do this I would like to know.

(B) What is the simplest packaged solution for writing very lightweight scripts that interface with Power Automate. It seems like a lot of unneeded overhead to run a full webserver just to process a little regex, but maybe I'm wrong. Does Azure, AWS, or some other hosting platform have lightweight solutions for this kind of thing that make the process of setting up the hooks easier so you don't have to write a full-on webapp framework yourself?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: What is the simplest way to have text processed by a user-written service as part of a flow?

Hi @wardlaw,

I think you are finding these functions that how to process the text, you could refer to these string function:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/logic-apps/workflow-definition-language-functions-reference#s...

Because Flow lacks any kind of regex functionality, so there is some complicated when you process the text, but there are a lot regex functions you could do by using above string function, you could have a try.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: What is the simplest way to have text processed by a user-written service as part of a flow?

Hi @wardlaw,

I think you are finding these functions that how to process the text, you could refer to these string function:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/logic-apps/workflow-definition-language-functions-reference#s...

Because Flow lacks any kind of regex functionality, so there is some complicated when you process the text, but there are a lot regex functions you could do by using above string function, you could have a try.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,263)