Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

When File is created move to dynamic folders

Hello all,

My Supervisor gave me a project to automate appraisals, So I started thinking and came to a solution with use from SharePoint.

So what I managed to make is a simple Approve/Reject Flow and my supervisor was very happy.

THIS IS WHAT HE ASKED, IF IT'S NOT POSSIBLE IT'S NOT A PROBLEM

What he asked next if it's possible to place newly created files in folders for each employee.

This is the structure: VNR Appraisals(Main doc Library) > Production(Sub Folder) > Tom,Hank,John,Doe(each employee has it's own folder) within that folder there will be folders based on the year (2016,2017,2018)

Next, He Has a excel file I coded some functions inside VBA so the filename wil be "text" from a CELL. When he saves this file It will be saved to /VNR Appraisals(Main doc Library/ Now the workflow should Copy/Move the File to one of the Employees folder

" /VNR Appraisals/Production/Tom/FILENAME.XLS " 

If the flow can move it to the date of the file this would be even more amazing.
" VNR Appraisals/Production/Tom/2017/FILENAME.XLS" 
Year will be decided by creation date, or string in the filename

I tried some stuff already and saw Flow can make folders based on filename.

(/VNRAppraisals/production/File name×(Dynamic content inside flow)​​/File name×(​​Dynamic content inside flow) 

Problem with this the Folder created during this process will have te file type at the end. ".XLS"  and the file won't be moved to the folder of current year.

Is my supervisors idea possible? If not the answer will simply be NO

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: When File is created move to dynamic folders

Hi @Anonymous,

Copying file to proper folder is possible for Microsoft Flow, but for nested folders, it would require nested Apply to Each.

And nested Apply to Each currently is not supported under Microsoft Flow.

So I am afraid currently moving the file into the proper year sub-folder is not possible.

The available workaround which I think is, rename the file name with the combinantion of people name and the proper year, then use this file name as the corresponding parameter.

Further, you may take a try with the steps provided by petervdzande in the following thread:

Create folder in SharePoint library

Which is another workaround.

For the corresponding idea:

Sharepoint Create Folder

Hope the information above is helpful.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Anonymous,

Copying file to proper folder is possible for Microsoft Flow, but for nested folders, it would require nested Apply to Each.

And nested Apply to Each currently is not supported under Microsoft Flow.

So I am afraid currently moving the file into the proper year sub-folder is not possible.

The available workaround which I think is, rename the file name with the combinantion of people name and the proper year, then use this file name as the corresponding parameter.

Further, you may take a try with the steps provided by petervdzande in the following thread:

Create folder in SharePoint library

Which is another workaround.

For the corresponding idea:

Sharepoint Create Folder

Hope the information above is helpful.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User
Super User

You can use the Move SharePoint Document from Library action to move file to nested structure of folder.

This action is in "Plumsail SP" connector, which is a part of Plumsail Actions product.

Note, it is a paid third-party solution. But it provides a rich set of actions that simplify working with SharePoint, permissions and documents.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 167 members 4,648 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: