cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brandt3

When Item is modified update item infinite loop

Step 2 Workflow emails the level 2 approver when the level 1 approver changes a field titled "L1 Decision" to "Approved". Once the level 2 approver responds, it emails the submitter to notify them of the response. It also updates the record with the level 2 approver name, decision and comments. This flow works fine. 

Step 3 Workflow emails the emails the submitter when the level 2 approver changes a field titled "L2 Decision" to "Approved".  This flow is successful but keeps running from the point of  sending an email to the submitter and even shows the response as blank in the email I think because the Condition is seeing the last Update Item as a change even though I specified that I am only interested in executing the action if the L2 Decision field has changed. 

Can anyone tell me how to stop this loop?

1 REPLY 1
v-bofeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @brandt3 :

Firstly,let me explain why you encountered this problem.

The point is that the the action triggered the trigger.So this flow is always executed in a loop.

Secondly,If you want to remove this self-loop, the only way is to add a judgment condition.

When flow is triggered by itself for the second time, it is judged whether the value of the calculated field is equal to the target value. If it is already equal to the target value, no update is performed. If the item is not updated, it will not trigger the trigger again, and the flow will stop the loop.Something like this:

vbofengmsft_1-1639965869006.png

I think this link will help you a lot:

Solved: Create and modify list item - avoid infinite loops - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com...

Best Regards,

Bof

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (5,195)