cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
charliecantflow
Level: Power Up

When a File Created or Modified (properties only) will not trigger from locally synced sharepoint folder

Hi All,

I'm new to flow so may be overlooking something simple.

I'm having an issue with triggering the Sharepoint File created or Modified (properties only) trigger. 

I originally created a Flow that utilised the When a file is created trigger that would send an email to a number of recipients that included a link to the new folder. This flow contained a two conditions to first check whether the file was a folder by using the Isfolder = true and then checked the folder path was equal to the path specified in the Trigger action, as I only wanted the email to send for a new folder in the 'Parent' folder.

This flow triggered perfectly when users created a new folder in the specified path using Sharepoint or their locally synced folder (Onedrive for business). The only issue was that when users created a folder in that path locally the flow would trigger with the Name 'New folder' rather than the Name they specified in Windows when they created the new folder, this consequently ment that link to the folder within the email was broken as the name was different.

My work around was to use When a file is created or modified, and add another condition that checks whether the 'Name' does not contain 'New folder'. 

Now things get a bit weird, this looks to work perfectly when each action is performed on Sharepoint (folder created/name change). However, the flow will only trigger if a user creates a new folder locally called 'New folder'. The Flow is not triggered if the user modifies that folder or if a user drags a differently named folder into the Parent folder, which did trigger the 'When a file is created (properties only)'.

I've found this previous thread that sounds similar but that was 'Solved' as the issue was not able to be recreated. However, it looks like users since then have had similar issues.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/I-Found-A-Bug/Sharepoint-quot-When-a-file-is-created-or-modified... 

Note: it DOES trigger locally but ONLY when the file is called 'New folder'. I don't understand why this would be the case.

Happy to provide more information if necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
charliecantflow

Re: When a File Created or Modified (properties only) will not trigger from locally synced sharepoint folder

Hi @v-yuazh-msft (Alice)

Thanks for your response. So it seems I can no longer recreate this issue.... I'll post below a screenshot of the flow and a description of the scenarios that were not triggering/triggering the flow when I first created the post. However, the flow now seems to be working correctly in all instances. 

Here's a snip of the flow its conditions.FlowSnip.PNG

This flow had the following outcomes through the following actions:

1. User creates new folder using sharepoint online in specified folder path with any name that is not 'New folder'.

Outcome: Flow triggers, conditions are all true, email is correctly sent.

2. User modifies the name of any folder in specified path using sharepoint online (except to 'New folder').

3. User creates a New folder on their local machine within specified folder path using Onedrive for business to sync the sharepoint site.

Outcome: Flow triggers, Condition 'Name' does not contain 'New folder' fails (condition 2 in screenshot) and the flow correctly terminates.

4. User modifies the name of any folders in specified path on their local machine synced using Onedrive for business.

Outcome: Flow does not trigger. (now working correctly)

5. User creates new file in specified path on their local machine synced using Onedrive for business. (Dragging folder with a different name in)

I'll mark as solved. However, it drove me crazy for a few hours and there does seem to be evidence of others having some similar issues so i'll leave the above for reference.

Thanks for your help.

Charlie

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: When a File Created or Modified (properties only) will not trigger from locally synced sharepoint folder

Hi @charliecantflow,

Would you please expain your issues with the screenshots so we would understand it clearly?

Best regards,

Alice

SPNoob
Level: Powered On

Hi @charliecantflow

I encountered a similar issue.

I'm currently trying to have a flow running in a library which goal is to extract the value of the "Name" of the document and put it in a single line of text field called "Usable Title".

Why then ? To be able to do a look-up in a list targeting this "Usable Title" as look-up (i don't know why) can't target the field "Name" in a library... (Otherwise, my look-up only indicate the ID of the folder, not user-friendly to know which one is the correct one).

Now, i tried all triggers for my flow: when file is created or modified (only properties and without the mention of properties). Nothing do the trick, it won't work always - sometimes yes, sometimes no. I also began to try out the onedrive connector... But failed gracefully.

My only workaround to this time is setting up a flow whose trigger is time: recurring flow, I have one launching itself each 5 minutes and comparing these 2 columns content to - in case of difference - extract the name into a 'usable' version.

Would something like that do the trick ?

If you find a solution, I'd be glad to read from you Smiley Happy

Thanks,

PS: it looks a bit like the post about flow not triggering: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/When-a-File-Created-or-Modified-properties-only-w...

Highlighted
charliecantflow

Hi @v-yuazh-msft (Alice)

Thanks for your response. So it seems I can no longer recreate this issue.... I'll post below a screenshot of the flow and a description of the scenarios that were not triggering/triggering the flow when I first created the post. However, the flow now seems to be working correctly in all instances. 

Here's a snip of the flow its conditions.FlowSnip.PNG

This flow had the following outcomes through the following actions:

1. User creates new folder using sharepoint online in specified folder path with any name that is not 'New folder'.

2. User modifies the name of any folder in specified path using sharepoint online (except to 'New folder').

3. User creates a New folder on their local machine within specified folder path using Onedrive for business to sync the sharepoint site.

Outcome: Flow triggers, Condition 'Name' does not contain 'New folder' fails (condition 2 in screenshot) and the flow correctly terminates.

4. User modifies the name of any folders in specified path on their local machine synced using Onedrive for business.

5. User creates new file in specified path on their local machine synced using Onedrive for business. (Dragging folder with a different name in)

I'll mark as solved. However, it drove me crazy for a few hours and there does seem to be evidence of others having some similar issues so i'll leave the above for reference.

Thanks for your help.

Charlie

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 212 members 4,476 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: