cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SPNoob
Level: Powered On

When a File Created or Modified (properties only) will not trigger from locally synced sharepoint folder

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up a flow on a sharepoint library. The goal is to take the value from the column 'Name' and put it in a single line of text column named whatever you want (mine is (Title for lookup)).

My goal is to obtain in the library a column that can be the target of a lookup built into a Sharepoint List. Currently, without this column I can only point on an ID, and that's not user-friendly enough for my users to identify the folder they want to link with the line of the list they are editing.

The absolue goal is to be able to access a folder from a line, so as to access the documentation relevant to the content of said line, in one or two clicks ! 🙂

Being understood that my users will all use the windows explorer interface to create/update/upload/modify files and folder, all synced through OneDrive to this SharePoint Library.

No trigger would work (when file is created or modified with or without properties), sometimes it triggers, sometimes not and even sometimes when it triggers, it locks itself on an item and will run on this one only, despite being triggered by the modification of another item !

My only current workaround is having set up a recuring flow (each 5 minutes) to compare the value of 'Name' and 'Title for lookup' and if different to update the second to have the current value of the first.

I read both of the below topics (and even try to have a flow similar to the one in the first topic) but could not figure it out:

I know it's possible, I have already seen this kind of flow in action (but I was not the conceptor).

Thank you in advance,

PS: Two questions for Miscrosoft:

1. Why are we not able to target the first and always present column (in library called name) in the same way we are able to always target the title column in lists?
  2. Why when we create a file, the title metadata is not equal (by default) to the name of the file?
2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: When a File Created or Modified (properties only) will not trigger from locally synced sharepoint folder

Hi @SPNoob

Could you share a screenshot of your flow?

Are you trying to trigger the flow when a file is synced from OneDrive for Business to SharePoint library?

Please make sure the file is synced properly.

By the way, it seems that column “name” is not able to be targeted when creating a lookup column directly, here is a related thread for your reference:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/493734/how-to-create-a-lookup-column-that-targets-a-doc-lib-and-...

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
SPNoob
Level: Powered On

Re: When a File Created or Modified (properties only) will not trigger from locally synced sharepoint folder

Hi @v-yamao-msft

Seems my previous post has disappeared, so I'll make it again along with today's results:

On Friday:

My flow:

First, my files were indeed synced (they are in v2 because I had to retest both my flows in the espacially created demo environment to do the screens - and v2 was because the safety flow indeed work, the normal one not).

v1 Library 1.PNG

Then, my "Normal" Flow, that do not trigger:

v1 Library 2.PNG

Followed by my "Safety" Flow, running all 5 minutes (currently put on hold until I find a solution for the Normal one and to avoid rendering my tests false).

v1 Library 3.PNG

One can note that Safety is exactly the same as the normal only the trigger is different.

And to finish, my windows UI, were it shows that it is indeed synced, but the flow does not trigger.

v1 Library 4.PNG

v1 Library 5.PNG

Today:

I tried today with the "new experience" UI.

Results of the behavioral test:

• when I created folder or a file: it works, the flow run.
    • and, but only once, it did trigger the flow for another file (already created) which I had modified the name (but the flow did not had triggered on such modification).
  • when I modify (in windows UI) the name of said:
    • It appears in the column name in the library (without F5, as soon as synced)
    • But the flow do not trigger (despite the modification
  • I also try to modify the content of the (empty) text files: nothing change.

See screens:

v1 Library 6.PNGv1 Library 7.PNG

I think I need help to achieve this one, it seemed easy but revealed itself tricky 🙂

But it would be trickier to ask my user to know the ID of the folder to select it in a look-up 😉

Thanks in advance

PS: the safety flow is, naturally, desactivated for the time being, as I want a solution on the "normal" way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 331 members 5,645 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: