cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MCat

When a task is added -> Create event V4 - issue with date/time

Hello all! Looking to troubleshoot some date/time issues with a Flow. 

The source is "When a task is added" from Outlook Tasks / Tasks By Planner (in Teams), via my personal Exchange Tasks or the Task feature in Teams. No Planner Plan or shared Team Task list is part of this.

The destination is "Create event (V4)" from Outlook Calendar, using my personal Exchange Calendar.

Originally when creating this, I did not see any kind of dynamic reference to the Task Due Date field in the Create Event Start Time/End Time fields. Digging in, I see that there's a Date Time Action series that I need to apply in between so the "When a task is added" trigger has its Due Date field referenceable in the Create Event action.

I added two Date Time actions. First, after "When a task is added", I used "Convert time zone" where the settings are:

Base time = dynamic "Due Date" from Task trigger source.

Format string = "Universal sortable date/time pattern - 2009-06-15 13:45:30Z [u]"

Source time zone = "(UTC) Coordinated Universal Time"

Destination time zone = "(UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)"

Next, to give my calendar event a duration, I used an "Add to Time" action from Date Time:

Base Time: dynamic "Convert time zone" reference to 'converted time'

Interval: 1

Time unit: Hour

This, ideally, is now generating a Start and End Time within Create event:

Start time: dynamic "Convert time zone" reference to 'converted time'

End time: dynamic "Add to Time" reference to 'calculated time'.

Time zone: (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

Reminder: 15

Is Reminder On: Yes

Show as Free

and the usual subject/body fields.

When I run this, no matter the Due Date set in the source trigger Task, it's creating events for tomorrow's date, from 8-9PM EST.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
eliotcole
Super User
Super User

OK, the main question, @MCat, is ... do you need to be converting time zones?

If everything is being done in your timezone, then when the task is created in your Exchange tasks list it will be in your timezone, so when you make an event you can just take the times.

Time zones REALLY complicate stuff, so if it's not a requirement, then just ignore it.

The other thing is to include some more information. So, please update the original question (not a reply) with:

1. Screenshots from your flow.
  2. Some example/relevant trigger data.

Obfuscate where necessary.

This will assist anyone that tries to help you get more context on the issue that you're having with the flow.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
eliotcole
Super User
Super User

OK, the main question, @MCat, is ... do you need to be converting time zones?

If everything is being done in your timezone, then when the task is created in your Exchange tasks list it will be in your timezone, so when you make an event you can just take the times.

Time zones REALLY complicate stuff, so if it's not a requirement, then just ignore it.

The other thing is to include some more information. So, please update the original question (not a reply) with:

1. Screenshots from your flow.
  2. Some example/relevant trigger data.

Obfuscate where necessary.

This will assist anyone that tries to help you get more context on the issue that you're having with the flow.

Thanks for the reply here! I took out the time zone changes step, and instead just set the "add time" step to create a 30 minute block for the calendar reminder. This did two things that were essential:

1. Created the Due Date Time reference in my Flow as a simple Dynamic Value under "calculated time".

2.Let me define when the reminder actually pops up on my calendar, because the original Task Due Date doesn't ask for a start time. And then the reminder default is midnight aka 12:00AM, so setting the start time to be +9 hours would have the reminder pop up at 9AM which was perfect. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (4,320)