cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Semirxbih
Level: Powered On

'When an email arrives' from a distribution list

Hi all,

I am using the 'When an email arrives' function and inputting the 'from:' field as a Cloud Portal distribution list email and it's not working at all.

Has anyone successfully able to kick off a flow using a Distribution list email?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: 'When an email arrives' from a distribution list

Hi @Semirxbih 

Thanks for clarifying that 'They actually all get routed to a folder called 'PortalHelp'.

I have just tested this and it isn't working for me either. I expect that the tigger isn't being satisfied in the sub folder as it isn't really arriving there. It is being moved there so I expect it will work on inbox.

Here is a thread with a link that may give you more information on triggering on a subfolder:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Trigger-flow-on-new-email/td-p/169269

What you could do, is trigger when the email arrives in the inbox and use Flow to move the email to a subfolder. This would require disabling the method you use currently to move the email.

So, I don't think this will trigger in your sub folder as it stands.

Happy to be proven wrong by another if they can locate a method but best to leave comments on this thread.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Trigger-flow-on-new-email/td-p/169269

If you have found my post helpful, please mark thumbs up.

If this post has solved your problem, please click "Accept as Solution".

Any other questions, just ask.

Thanks, Alan

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @Semirxbih 

So, "When an email arrives" you have specified the parameter "from:"

You are using CloudPortalDL@wherever.com in that field and want a trigger when mail arrives from CloudPortalDL@wherever.com.

You say it is now working at all?

Can you post a picture of your Flow?

On the face of it, this should work no problem, can you provide as much detail as possible in addition to the pictures, any errors or flow runs if there are any?

Thanks, Alan

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Semirxbih

So this is the part that doesn't even want to kick off - The distribution list email is blocked off - It's not throwing off any errors all it says under the runs is that it 'Skipped' the first part.

1.png

Super User
Super User

Hi @Semirxbih 

Your settings would require an email to arrive in a folder called "PortalHelp".

Do emails arrive in that folder by a rule or something? If not, I expect they will require to.

Maybe try "Inbox" as the folder.

Thanks, Alan

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Semirxbih

They actually all get routed to a folder called 'PortalHelp' which was created for that particular Distribution Group.

Do you know if the Distribution Group needs to also be a Security group for the flow to work? Does flow work better with security groups?

Super User
Super User

Hi @Semirxbih 

Thanks for clarifying that 'They actually all get routed to a folder called 'PortalHelp'.

I have just tested this and it isn't working for me either. I expect that the tigger isn't being satisfied in the sub folder as it isn't really arriving there. It is being moved there so I expect it will work on inbox.

Here is a thread with a link that may give you more information on triggering on a subfolder:

What you could do, is trigger when the email arrives in the inbox and use Flow to move the email to a subfolder. This would require disabling the method you use currently to move the email.

So, I don't think this will trigger in your sub folder as it stands.

Happy to be proven wrong by another if they can locate a method but best to leave comments on this thread.

Thanks, Alan

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,885)