Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Priya216
Helper I
Helper I

When an item is created or modified Trigger

Hello,

I have an approval flow which is triggered by 'When an item is created" for a sharepoint list.

At times items within the list may be modified so if its the workflow is still running or complete I would like the same workflow to be triggered again. The workflow updates the list also with approvals.

Is there a simple way of implementing this to my existing workflow ?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Priya

2 REPLIES 2
rohentz
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Priya216 how are you?

@Priya216 to execute the flow when an item is updated and also when created you need to change the trigger. So I recommend to use the "When an item is created or modified" to achieve your goal.

rohentz_0-1619719804815.png

Please let me know if this information helped to answer your question.

Regards

Rodrigo Hentz

Microsoft Support Engineer

Priya216
Helper I
Helper I

Hello 

Apologies for not responding back to this sooner.

I am still struggling with this trigger.

The scenario is - I have created a trips calendar which teachers add trips for their students. The trip needs to be approved by 2 people. Sometimes the 1st approver will reject the trip as the trip requires more information. The teacher then amends the trip by adding more information and this then needs to trigger a workflow to do the same thing as before but now on modify. 

I am unsure if I need to use 2 flows for this list or use 1.

I am working with the following triggers :

"When an item is created" + "When an item or file is modified" - 2 workflows

"When an item is created or modified" - 1 workflow

Using the 2 workflows I find the workflows trigger one after the other and then its in a infinite loop as the workflow is doing an approval and update.

Using the 1 workflow this just ends up in an infinite loop too.

I have looked into trigger conditions and using a conditional column and still the infinite loop still keeps occurring.

I rather use 2 workflows one form creating the item and other for modifying the item but how do I stop them triggering one after the other continuously and how do I avoid these infinite loops because I I do need to update the trip.

How do I do this ?

Help will be much appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

Users online (51,871)