cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aaaohio_sfuller
Level: Powered On

'When an item is created or modified' trigger not firing until manually saved

I'm running into an odd issue where my Flow will not trigger correctly upon modifying a list item. I have flow set up to copy appended Col1 content to Col2 which can then be listed as an 'updated comment' in my list's default view.

It's the same logic as a SP2013 workflow I've been using, but for whatever reason the flow will not automatically trigger when an item is created/modified in my list - it will only trigger if I go back into the flow and manually save it (the Flow) again. Additionally, if I manually save the Flow a second time, it wipes Col2's existing content.

I am not intimately familiar with any quirks found in the 'When an item is created or modified' SharePoint trigger in Flow, but it's possible I'm missing something obvious.

Below is the logic I'm using.

'Comment Update' MS Flow example

Any help would be much appreciated, I haven't been able to find any posts going over this Flow trigger specifically. It seems like there would either be a very obvious solution to this, or this is a glaring bug with Flow.

Thank you for your time.

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Re: 'When an item is created or modified' trigger not firing until manually saved

@aaaohio_sfuller:

Could you please provide a little more explaanation of the following:

It's the same logic as a SP2013 workflow I've been using, but for whatever reason the flow will not automatically trigger when an item is created/modified in my list - it will only trigger if I go back into the flow and manually save it (the Flow) again. Additionally, if I manually save the Flow a second time, it wipes Col2's existing content.

Also, how long have you waited for the Flow to trigger?  A Flow may take a number of minutes to start after an item has been updated.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
aaaohio_sfuller

Re: 'When an item is created or modified' trigger not firing until manually saved

Thank you for your response. I realize I probably worded that a little oddly, my apologies!

My list's Flow is set up to trigger 'when an item is created or modified'. When I submit a new entry to the list, or modify an existing item, the Flow will not automatically trigger. The only way I have found to force the Flow to trigger for the modified item is to navigate to the Flow's construction dialog and click the 'save' button. Once I do this the recently modified list item is processed through the Flow and Col2 is updated as expected.

If I follow these steps up with saving the Flow an additional (second) time it will remove the data it had previously entered in Col2. I haven't figured out exactly why this is happening yet, as the only logic I'm including in the Flow pertains to updating Col2 if it's a specific match (the previous image example should hopefully explain this better).

In my tests I've waited upwards of two hours prior to manually saving the Flow again. I was not aware that it was supposed to take any noticable amount of extra time to trigger - I assumed they worked the same way as SharePoint workflows in that they were automatically processed once triggered.

If this delay is the expected default behavior for Flows in general, do you know of any workarounds in Flow which would be automatic processed, or is it not really intended for that?

Thank you for your time.

aaaohio_sfuller

Thank you for the response. I'll clarify!

Currently, when I add or modify an item in the list my Flow is attached to, it will not automatically trigger. I've waited upwards of two hours for the Flow to copy Col1 to Col2, but it does not seem to be doing it on it's own. While testing, I went into the Flow again to check it out and noticed that if I open the Flow and manually saved it, it would then process the action I previously made with the list. Only by opening the Flow's construction page and manually saving it will it trigger and process copying Col1 to Col2.

Once this is done, if I manually save the Flow a second time it will wipe Col2's data for some reason. I'm not sure if it's an order of operations issue yet, I'm still researching.

I was not aware that Flow's didn't automatically trigger. Do you have a recommendation for circumventing a potential wait period, in the event I need my list to update on the spot?

Thank you very much for your help.

Super User
Super User

@aaaohio_sfuller:

Can you do a quick test please...

1. Turn off the problem Flow
  2. Create a new simple Flow (just the trigger and on action like initalizing a variable...) with the same trigger.
    1. Does the Flow fire when expected?
  3. Create a simple Flow on another list with the same trigger.
    1. Does the Flow firw when expected?

Please let me know.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
rsvvirk

I am facing a similar problem, has anyone found solution to this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 445 members 6,140 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: