cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
yellowsubmarine
Level: Powered On

When to use use {Compose:input ['Number Column']} vs "@float(outputs('Compose'))" vs @float(triggerbody()?['Number Column'])

I am working on getting an excel table from a SPO library to SPO DataList. While working on the flow I noticed that most of the solution in the community forum falls into the use of @float(outputs('Compose'))" vs @float(triggerbody()?['Number Column']) when I searchd for Numeric Feild for SPO flow.

I was NOT able to get my flow working @float(outputs('Compose'))" vs @float(triggerbody()?['Number Column']) as I always get InvalidTemplate error probably my syntax is wrong. However I was able to get my flow working by using Input/Output.

ComposeP1.pngComposeP2.png

Question is when do I use "@float(outputs('Compose'))" vs @float(triggerbody()?['Number Column']) and when do I declare a floating variable? is my solution optimal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Re: When to use use {Compose:input ['Number Column']} vs "@float(outputs('Compose'))" vs @float(triggerbody()?['Number Column'])

Hi @yellowsubmarine ,

What the column name of the two columns in your excel file.

For example, in my excel, the column name is Column1, So the expression is :

float(items('Apply_to_each')?['Column1'])

Capture15.PNG

For you flow, you just need change the expression with the column name of yours.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Re: When to use use {Compose:input ['Number Column']} vs "@float(outputs('Compose'))" vs @float(triggerbody()?['Number Column'])

Hi @yellowsubmarine ,

When you get the number from the excel file to flow, the type of the value will change to string.

The type of Input/Output is string.

When you want to change the data format, you need to use the function of @float().

I have made a test below: the type of column1 in excel is number.

Capture10.PNGCapture13.PNGCapture9.PNGCapture12.PNG

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

yellowsubmarine

Hi @v-zhos-msft 

Thanks for the respone, Could you share the expression you used for the float?

@v-zhos-msft does that mean even if I was able to call the value from input(excel data table) to output SPO number format columns Amount1 and Amount2 the values are transferred as string?

best regards,

ys

v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Hi @yellowsubmarine ,

The expression is: float(items('Apply_to_each')?['Column1'])

Capture14.PNG

For the second question, when you transferred the data via flow, the value type will change to string.

Best Regards,

yellowsubmarine

Hi @v-zhos-msft ,

Based on my flow from excel to SPO Data list what should be my dynamic expression solution to convert it to float number format to the 2 columns I have formatted as number.

Should a varaible be declared first? When would be the use case to use a float(triggerboddy)? expression?

best regards,

ys

v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Hi @yellowsubmarine ,

What the column name of the two columns in your excel file.

For example, in my excel, the column name is Column1, So the expression is :

float(items('Apply_to_each')?['Column1'])

Capture15.PNG

For you flow, you just need change the expression with the column name of yours.

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

yellowsubmarine

@v-zhos-msft thanks for the clarification. I might raise another question regarding triggerbody as my question is pretty general. 🙂

best regards,

ys

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,798)