cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yellowsubmarine
Level: Powered On

When to use use {Compose:input ['Number Column']} vs "@float(outputs('Compose'))" vs @float(triggerbody()?['Number Column'])

I am working on getting an excel table from a SPO library to SPO DataList. While working on the flow I noticed that most of the solution in the community forum falls into the use of @float(outputs('Compose'))" vs @float(triggerbody()?['Number Column']) when I searchd for Numeric Feild for SPO flow.

I was NOT able to get my flow working @float(outputs('Compose'))" vs @float(triggerbody()?['Number Column']) as I always get InvalidTemplate error probably my syntax is wrong. However I was able to get my flow working by using Input/Output.

ComposeP1.pngComposeP2.png

Question is when do I use "@float(outputs('Compose'))" vs @float(triggerbody()?['Number Column']) and when do I declare a floating variable? is my solution optimal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Re: When to use use {Compose:input ['Number Column']} vs "@float(outputs('Compose'))" vs @float(triggerbody()?['Number Column'])

Hi @yellowsubmarine ,

What the column name of the two columns in your excel file.

For example, in my excel, the column name is Column1, So the expression is :

float(items('Apply_to_each')?['Column1'])

Capture15.PNG

For you flow, you just need change the expression with the column name of yours.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Re: When to use use {Compose:input ['Number Column']} vs "@float(outputs('Compose'))" vs @float(triggerbody()?['Number Column'])

Hi @yellowsubmarine ,

When you get the number from the excel file to flow, the type of the value will change to string.

The type of Input/Output is string.

When you want to change the data format, you need to use the function of @float().

I have made a test below: the type of column1 in excel is number.

Capture10.PNGCapture13.PNGCapture9.PNGCapture12.PNG

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

yellowsubmarine

Hi @v-zhos-msft 

Thanks for the respone, Could you share the expression you used for the float?

@v-zhos-msft does that mean even if I was able to call the value from input(excel data table) to output SPO number format columns Amount1 and Amount2 the values are transferred as string?

best regards,

ys

Highlighted
v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Hi @yellowsubmarine ,

The expression is: float(items('Apply_to_each')?['Column1'])

Capture14.PNG

For the second question, when you transferred the data via flow, the value type will change to string.

Best Regards,

yellowsubmarine

Hi @v-zhos-msft ,

Based on my flow from excel to SPO Data list what should be my dynamic expression solution to convert it to float number format to the 2 columns I have formatted as number.

Should a varaible be declared first? When would be the use case to use a float(triggerboddy)? expression?

best regards,

ys

v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Hi @yellowsubmarine ,

What the column name of the two columns in your excel file.

For example, in my excel, the column name is Column1, So the expression is :

float(items('Apply_to_each')?['Column1'])

Capture15.PNG

For you flow, you just need change the expression with the column name of yours.

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

yellowsubmarine

@v-zhos-msft thanks for the clarification. I might raise another question regarding triggerbody as my question is pretty general. 🙂

best regards,

ys

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,584)