cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Famous_Sam
Advocate I
Advocate I

When updating an excel table I get 'too many versions' error - can there a way to set or reset this?

My flow writes an excel table row when an event occurs. The file is in OneDrive. The event occurs about 100 times a day.

After a few days it starts to fail - error message is 'too many minor versions' (so Flow can't update the file).

My workaround now is to manually publish that file - and then it's ok for a few more days.

My question: is there a flow function to either prevent the version updating? Or to reset it somehow? or to automate the publishing action (maybe I could run that on a schedule for example)?

Or any other solutions pleaseee.

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

There is nothing I know of built in to Power Automate to allow controlling of major and minor versions.  There is however a way to publish a file as a major version using an HTTP REST call.  I would suggest either adding logic to your flow that checks the version number and publishes it if its getting large or creating a second recurrence flow that would run once a day to publish a new major version.  You can read about the REST call to Publish a major version here.

Publish files in SharePoint using Microsoft Flow and Column formatting - About365

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

There is nothing I know of built in to Power Automate to allow controlling of major and minor versions.  There is however a way to publish a file as a major version using an HTTP REST call.  I would suggest either adding logic to your flow that checks the version number and publishes it if its getting large or creating a second recurrence flow that would run once a day to publish a new major version.  You can read about the REST call to Publish a major version here.

Publish files in SharePoint using Microsoft Flow and Column formatting - About365

View solution in original post

tom_riha
Super User II
Super User II

Hello @Famous_Sam ,

you should be able to disable minor versioning directly in OneDrive. You can 'Return to classic OneDrive' on the left side. Then go to Settings -> Site contents -> Settings on your library -> Versioning settings, and disable creation of minor versions.

Or try to change the url to get to the Site contents directly, instead of /onedrive.aspx use /viewlsts.aspx

image.png

[ If I have answered your question, please Accept the post as a solution. ]
[ If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ]

[ I also blog about Power Automate solutions even for non-IT people. ]

@tom_rihaThat's brilliant - I knew OD was Sharepoint (of course) but have never seen the settings available like that.

Not quite what I need, but many thanks for the tip.

Sam

Thank you @Pstork1 I expect this is the solution (and I'll mark it as such when I've had a go) - in the meantime I've been exploring the Onedrive connector a bit more.

I'm not finding any way to get the version number of a Onedrive file. (and to get for a SP file isn't easy it seems)

Or to check-in (or publish) a Onedrive file.

Will that HTTP REST call work on OneDrive files? What would be the server and path please?

Thanks

Sam

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Yes, you can disable minor versions for OneDrive.  Just be aware that the Files Restore functionality is dependent on versioning in OneDrive.  So if you make changes to automatically clean up versions, by switching to Major version only, you will be limiting your ability to recover files in the case of a disaster.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,189)