cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ComputerHabit2
Resolver III
Resolver III

Why can't I create an HTML Hyperlink in Power Automate Email

This is not working at all.  I can use the interface to create a link.  If I type in the Title and URL it takes the hyperlink.

If I try to use Link to Item I get errors and it doesn't work.

How do I use the URL for Link to Items?  This used to work!

9 REPLIES 9
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Which specific action are you using?  Is it the Approval email, Send an Email with Options, Send an Email (V2) or Send an Email notification?  The different connectors have different functionality and support different ways of defining a hyperlink.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

It was send email v3.  When creating a link you can't switch back from html view or stuff gets hosed.  If you even touch it after to view it dies and gets rewritten.  I don't trust even touching it.  Geeze....  finicky interface keeps popping up and disappearing.... only clearing all the values gets it working again.

I assume you mean the SMTP send email action.  I'm not particularly familiar with that one.  But once you enable HTML I would expect the link to be stripped out if you turn HTML off.

Hi @ComputerHabit2 :

Could you please show more details about your flow?A screenshot better.

Do you use the "Send an email notification (V3)" action?

I did a test, code view and Html view can be switched normally:

vbofengmsft_0-1632980098513.pngvbofengmsft_1-1632980106636.png

I suggest you insert a hyperlink in this way instead of manually modifying the HTML code:

vbofengmsft_2-1632980168154.png

The Result:

vbofengmsft_3-1632980221126.pngvbofengmsft_4-1632980231205.png

Best Regards,

Bof

A regular link works as expected.

Try using a link from something like an item in a Sharepoint list.  The "Link to Item" metadata value has the URL to the item you want to link to.

So I just opened my working flow.  Expanded the email notification and this is what it looks like.  

ComputerHabit2_0-1633005212398.png

Code View

ComputerHabit2_1-1633005317060.png

Turning code view off again

ComputerHabit2_2-1633005360426.png

It basically totally screws up any work you do.

I had specifically put HTML code in prior to the save.  Now it's all messed up.  I have to rewrite it and redo all the values to get it working again.  I had to wipe out all the values because the value selector wouldn't show.  It would flash.  It took me hours to write a freakin A tag!!!!

Instead of switching to code view for that you should be using the rich text editor toolbar to create links.  Click on the chain link icon in the toolbar and it will prompt you to input the title and link.

image.png

You can't do that with metadata tags.  It doesn't allow you to select anything in there.  That HTML link builder is just a cheap A tag creator.  It does nothing dynamic.

I just tried it and was able to insert dynamic content tags into the fields.  So I'm not sure what you mean when you say it doesn't allow you to select anything.

I just screenshotted my experience.  So unless you have a screenshot I say nope.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,435)