cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
in2217
Level 8

Why do variables get lost from condition bloc?

Lately I see a strange case where variables dissapear from Condition block.

I would set it normally, it would work for some time, and then all of a suddent the flow would fail with the "null" error message (helpful, right?). 

And when I look into the troubled box I see the variable on the left is gone. The box is blank.

It may help to note that the variable is the internal one representing Status of the HTTP call run above the condition.

Anyone has a clue on how to prevent this from happening?

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Why do variables get lost from condition bloc?

Hi @in2217,

Do you mean the variable will appear after a run? I have tested on my side, but not found the same issue.

What's your previous operation of the Flow?

Annotation 2019-08-22 112331.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

in2217
Level 8

Previous step is HTTP call.

The thing is that most of the time it works fine. Or we would not be able to use it at all, I guess.

But occasionally this happens. 

It always happens after previous step gets renamed. There the variables that are essentially the 

outputs('HTTP_call_name')['StatusCode'] will get automatically updated to reflect the new name of the HTTP step, but then eventually will be lost.

So I know to always delete the old variable from the condition statement and then put it again. 

And still they dissapear. 

In any case, this behavior is inconsistent.

8-22-2019 6-40-35 AM.png

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @in2217,

I can see that the issue occurs on my side, I find the dynamic content (Status Code) in the condition box will disappear after I rename the Http action. It may be a transient problem, you can temporarily store the Status Code in a variable and then put in the condition box to prevent it happen again.Annotation 2019-08-22 125226.png

Please have a try, I hope it can help you.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

in2217
Level 8

Hi @v-litu-msft ,

I would rather not create another variable. Read somewhere that initiation and set of variables seriously affect performance. My flows are long and already have tens of variables. I would really want to save on one more.

If I do need to manually replace the StatusCode variable in the condition box whenever I rename the HTTP action , this is fine. I'll keep an eye on flow runs (obviously) and if this won't be enough I'll reluctantly use variables.

I see this as a bug anyway, so if MS Flow team is reading this, please consider this a bug report.

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 293 members 5,582 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: