cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mcorning
Level 8

Why does Yammer prompt for credentials?

I had a flow that ended with a post to yammer. all went well, and i was very happy with the Yammer option over using email.

Then I had one of my devs try the powerapp that calls the flow that posts to yammer...and yammer prompted him for credentials. I did not see that coming.

Yammer is nice, but it's not on the critical path, so I removed the yammer action from the flow, re(moved)placed the flow in the powerapp, and replaced the powerapp in azure. I asked my dev to run it again, and guess what...he got prompted. I saw this "unsaved" behavior earlier this weekend, and the powerapp returned to expected behavior after waiting overnight. I include it here as an FYI. oh, and one more point: when my dev entered his credentials, flow said the login failed. I suspect I know what's causing this surprise, and I'm (re)posting the issue on the PowerApps Forum. 

i suspect, on the other hand, that the credential prompting is related to the workaround we have to go through today when changes in Flow need to get up to Azure. Still, I'm in the dark here, and I'd really like to get yammer back in the flow.

One related question, and this is architectural. If a connection like yammer is part of a flow, but if the current user (running the flow) is not part of the yammer group to which the flow posts (a message that the current user has just run the flow), must I remove yammer from that flow (perhaps moving it to an independent flow that watches for records created when the current user runs the flow)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mcorning
Level 8

Re: Why does Yammer prompt for credentials?

i can confirm that a separate call to post Yammer did not interfere with the regular workflow for members. I, on the other hand, do see the yammer post when a member is in trouble.

it's still a mystery how all this magic works behind the curtain. but for now, i can live with that unrequited curiosity.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @mcorning,

Could you please share more information regarding " the Flow posts to Yammer" here? 

For the usage of this Flow under PowerApps, is that App shared with your devs, user or contributor group?

For Flows used under PowerApps, the related information could be found at:

Share app resources

"

If you share an app that includes a flow, users who run the app will be prompted to confirm or update any connections on which the flow relies. In addition, only the person who created the flow can customize its parameters. For example, you can create a flow that sends mail to an address that you specify, but other users can’t change that address.

"

For the Flow and the Yammer Action, I think the user who created the Flow should have the rights to post in that Yammer group, otherwise, I don't think it will work.

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mcorning
Level 8

as usual, just-in-time learning can produce small amounts of wasted time (mainly for you guys <g/>).

here's how my current understanding improved over the last few days: when i re-remembered this PowerApps/Flow programming model, I understood why Yammer prompted for credentials. It's been hard for me to shake my old school programming biases, but when i focus on the personal apect of PA/F, i see that, not only is the new "programming" similar to writing Excel worksheets, but the PowerApp itself is more like an Excel worksheet than it is a generally available web api, for example.

So here is this personal asset i have built for my personal benefit. and in my case, one of those benefits was seeing a post in Yammer that told me one of my members was in trouble. swell.

but when i assume my personal benefits will accrue to everybody else with whom i share my PowerApp, i can get in trouble. When i share the Big Reb Button with my members, they don't care about Yammer. But since, as you note, Yammer is now a Connection packaged in my .msapp file, when my member uses my PowerApp, Yammer will need to authorize the member...and will fail because only five people are in the Yammer group (while five million people use the "same" Big Red Button).

So the right thing to do was, for the publicly shared PowerApp, strip out the Yammer connection.

My new challene is to meet my old goal where Yammer wakes up whenever a member gets in trouble. I think one way to accomplish this is to put that last part of the old Flow back into action. That is, I have a new fow with a CDS record trigger that fires off a Yammer post...but I don't recall a way to share Flows explicitly and exclusively. So i'm not sure I can cross the "last ten feet" of this challenge.

on to more JIT learning...wish me luck.

mcorning
Level 8

i can confirm that a separate call to post Yammer did not interfere with the regular workflow for members. I, on the other hand, do see the yammer post when a member is in trouble.

it's still a mystery how all this magic works behind the curtain. but for now, i can live with that unrequited curiosity.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 204 members 5,512 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: