cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calvares
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Why is my flow running an infinite loop?

I've had a flow running on an infinite loop and I don't know why it would be.

It runs when a SharePoint item is modified.

There is one condition - then a send email followed by an update item.

Then there is condition 2- send an email followed by update item.

The update item is for fields which says send email = yes which would prevent the condition running again.

The thing is, it runs again even when the conditions have been false and with no apparent updates to the item. The flow run shows many of them as cancelled. The attached shows the version history for one item - the last actual update was at 10.06 but then it continued...

One of the conditionsOne of the conditionsversions in sharepointversions in sharepoint

I have put an extra condition now to run subsequent conditions if modified by is not equal to the flow author, but old flows are continuing to run. Will they eventually stop with this new condition?

3 REPLIES 3
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

It's undoubtedly the Update Item action causing the issue.  Instead of adding a condition inside the flow you really need to fix this by adding a trigger query that checks the field you are changing to say it shouldn't be re-started.

for your second question.  Changing the definition of the existing flow will not affect any of the flow instances that are already running.  They will continue to run with the old definition.  However, when they finish and restart the restarted flow would run with the new logic.  So eventually it should settle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
calvares
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Thank you for your quick and helpful reply @Pstork1.

I know you're right about Update Item being the issue but I just don't understand how it can cause it to run in loops if the action only ran the first time and not subsequently since the conditions weren't met. 

Could you tell me more about how to go about adding a trigger query please?

Thanks!

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

I would need to take a look at your whole flow to figure out why its re-triggering if the update doesn't happen in the condition.  But here's the best article at this point on Trigger Queries.  Let me know if you have more questions after going through the article

Power Automate Trigger Conditions made EASY - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MSFTBizAppsLaunchEvent

Experience what’s next for Power Virtual Agents

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (94,350)