cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gaznae
Level: Powered On

Word Online (Business) Connector - Repeating Section Content Control Recursion

I have been playing with the recent updates to the Word Online connector and see that Repeating Section Content Control is now supported but I think I may have stumbled upon a limitation of nesting a child Repeating Section Content Control within itself.

I want to be able to deploy recursion using this control but haven't been able to get this to work. Has anyone had any luck on this or found a suitable workaround?

Created a Flow Idea for this in case anyone else requires the same functionality:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Word-Online-Business-Connector-Repeating-Section-Cont...

10 REPLIES 10
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Word Online (Business) Connector - Repeating Section Content Control Recursion

Hi @Gaznae,

Currently, the Populate a Microsoft Word template support input repeat records, you could refer to this blog to learn how to use it:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/intermediate-flow-of-the-week-create-pdf-invoices-using-word-t...

You can also refer to this example post about how to use the populate a template:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/MS-forms-to-Word-Template-Question-has-multiple-a...

If you can tell your requirements more details, I will give more detailed suggestions and measures according to them.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Gaznae

Re: Word Online (Business) Connector - Repeating Section Content Control Recursion

Thanks, @v-litu-msft 

The Populate a Microsoft Word Template Flow action allows using an array for dynamic content which works fine. 

However if you have a child repeating section within a parent repeating section control, the Flow action does not identify the nested control.

Repeating Section Content Control.PNGChild Repeating Section Control

This is an issue if you have dynamic content within the repeating section.

Gaznae

@JohnMacDougall - Did you have any joy attempting this level of complexity in your repeating section?

Gaznae

@v-litu-msft - any update on whether this scenario is supported? Can I help to provide any more information?

John742

@v-litu-msft  I would also like to know whether nested repeating content is supported and or possible with the Word connector. 

Jakemarshgg

I have been wanting this as well, it is very limiting and frustrating that this cannot be done in the premium content package

Gaznae

I am currently in talks with MSFT and the Flow Product Group and I am told this is supported. Once I have a resolution on this, I will share it on the thread.

Jakemarshgg

Great I am looking forward to the update, please let us know

Jakemarshgg

@Gaznae any word back from the developers?

Gaznae

@Jakemarshgg 

Unfortunately, the product group have done a u-turn on this and have come back saying nested repeating sections are not supported.

It has been requested that the documentation is updated to reflect this limitation. Hopefully, this will help others from encountering the same issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,947)