cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Word Template Generates but PDF Not Populating Data

I have successfully created a Word document populated with content from Dynamics with the "Populate a Microsoft Word template" action and stored said file on OneDrive.  My issue is when I use the "Convert Word Document to PDF" action the Dynamics content does not render.  Looking at the Word document on OneDrive I see the rendered template values.  I am using that rendered file within the Convert action step but when I open the PDF, it displays the template format not the populated Dynamics content.  Anyone experience something like this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Re: Word Template Generates but PDF Not Populating Data

My issue seems to be with the template generated by Dynamics.  When I create my own template (independent of Dynamics connection), the Word file is populated correctly even when downloaded.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

hi @mcutchins  please use convert file one drive action

convrt.PNG

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mcutchins,

After Populate a Microsoft Word template, you should use the content of the Populate step to create a word file, then use the identifier of the word file to convert the content into PDF format, then use the return to create a PDF File:

Annotation 2020-05-27 162258.jpg

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @ChristianAbata and @v-litu-msft 

I changed it to "Convert file" and it still does not show the populated version.

flow.png

Word document on the left, PDF generated document on the right.

combo.png

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

please @mcutchins  in your populate filed add a expresion like this String('YourMailingLabel')

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

No luck @ChristianAbata .  It is like it doesn't get the content of the Plain Text control of the Word template.

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Looking at this more closely, it appears the template to Word document is not correct!  The Word document that is generated shows the populated values only when viewing the Word document within the web browser.  When the Word document is downloaded, it looks exactly like the template.  So when the PDF conversion takes place, it is not seeing the populated/dynamic content to convert.  Very strange behavior; back to investigation and how to resolve this template to Word issue!

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

My issue seems to be with the template generated by Dynamics.  When I create my own template (independent of Dynamics connection), the Word file is populated correctly even when downloaded.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,525)