cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PMavrich
Level: Powered On

Working on having a form send approval email and record the response in excel

I am working to build a flow that will record the approval results into the excel file under the approvers column.  The flow process is triggered from forms. It will also need to email the requester whether their request has been approved.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Working on having a form send approval email and record the response in excel

Hi @PMavrich ,

Could you provide more explanation about your needs?

• Whether the forms you mentioned are MS Forms, and which actions need to be executed after Flow is triggered.
  • What is the type of Approval and what needs to be viewed by Approver?
  • What is recorded in the Excel table is the final result of the approval or the details of each participating Approver approval.

Please provide more details so that we could provide the appropriate workaround.

I assume that you are using MS Forms, send the user-submitted content to Approver for viewing, and the Excel table records the details of each Approver approval.

Please refer to the following method to configure Flow.

In Excel table, the column shown in the following figure is created to record the approval details. The approval type is Everyone must approve.

32.PNG

Image reference:

30.PNG31.PNG

Please take a try.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
PMavrich

Re: Working on having a form send approval email and record the response in excel

I am using MS Forms to save all the information in an Excel spreadsheet and send out a request for approval to the engineering, sales, quality, and production managers.   The approvals need to be sent out in an email and the responses need to be collected in a specific column within excel.  Like it would search for Engineering when its the engineering manager and place the approval/ rejection collected within the same row as the data. 

Then have an email sent out to the originator showing that the process has been completed.  

MS Forms - Excel - Approval - Email - Excel

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @PMavrich ,

You could try to create a Flow based on the structures you have listed.

Any questions, just ask.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
PMavrich

@v-bacao-msftI have figured out the approval piece but not how to record the information from the approval into the excel spreadsheet matching Control numbers and columns.

Side Note: Why when I save my flow half way through and come back to it the next day does it loose the connection to my forms?  I had to start over today with the approvals.  Its very frustrating.  Is there a way around it?  

PMavrich

It is close ... But I need the information to populate a specific cell in the excel document.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @PMavrich ,

I am afraid I don't understand the meaning of "matching Control numbers and columns" that you mentioned.

Could you explain your needs with the screenshots of your existing Flow and the details of the Excel table?

This makes it easier for us to provide the right workaround.

Best Regards,

PMavrich

excel approve.JPGI want the approval to populate X4 and refer to b4I am looking to connect my approvals to my excel file.  Each approval will be matched with its Deviation Number and placed in the correct column.

ajwms
Level: Power Up

I have almost the exact same use case that I cannot get a Flow to completely address. I am using a SharePoint list over an Excel file (couldn't get the Flow to start without converting my Form data to a Sharepoint list rather than Excel table) and the approval emails are going out and the form data is being collected. 

But, I also have different approvers depending on the form entries and I want to collect the approvals in different columns in the SP list much like the Excel need expressed here.

Any suggestions?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 275 members 5,325 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: