cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lukeward88
Level: Power Up

approval email with conditions

Hi All,

I'm looking for help with an approval flow. The first part I have completed which is to pull a file from sharepoint when I right click it and run it manually for approval. The next part is where i need help I want multiple people to approve it and I'd like to receive confirmation when each person has approved it. Also is it possible to assign a default proxy for someone if they are out of the office?

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: approval email with conditions

The design for this is dependent on several factors.

1. Do you want to send out the Approvals to multiple people in parallel or serial fashion?
  2. Is the list of Approvers a fixed number? and is it always the same list of approvers? Where will the list of approvers be obtained from?
  3. For the delegate, where will the email address of these people come from and how will I know to send it to the delegate?

I've done something like this using the following patterns

1. Send individual approvals to each user in a Loop (Serial).  When they respond send a notification back to the requestor.
  2. Approvers are supplied via a Person/Group field that can have multiple entries. The submitter can add as many or as few approvers as they like. This allows for a dynamic list of approvers for each item.
  3. I check the Out of Office message for each Approver and send the approval to their manager if they are OOO. The manager is retrieved using an Get Manager action.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
lukeward88
Level: Power Up

Hi, Thanks for the quick response.

1. I'd like them all to be sent out parallel.

2. The list isn't a fixed number no and the list can change. For example we may want to include the quality department on one and possibly not on another. Also depending on the level of esclation it may need to be more people.

Do you have any form of example of how I could do this? I really appreciate your help.

Super User
Super User

Hi @lukeward88, the way I would do it is to use parallel branching with, in each branch, the start and wait for approval  followed by the email back to you with the decision and any comments from each approver.

There's no way I know of to assign a proxy if the approver is out of the office, you'd need to add them in to the Assigned to field in the approval action.

Rob
Los Gallardos
If I've answered your question or solved your problem, please mark this question as answered. This helps others who have the same question find a solution quickly via the forum search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. Thanks.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

The problem with sending them out in parallel is that you need to know how many approvers to be able to create the parallel branches for each approval in the Flow. I don't know of any way at this point to do a parallel approval with a dynamic set of approvers.

For examples, I did a virtual summit recently where I presented 7 Tips and tricks for Approval Flows.  I exported my demos and have posted them on my Blog.  You can access them here:

https://www.dontpapanic.com/blog/?p=590

Videos from the virtual summit are also available, but that requires a fee to the summit organizer.  If you want to watch the session you can find details here: 

https://events.collab365.community/microsoft-flow-virtual-summit-agenda/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Super User
Super User

I would have thought that knowing the number of approvers was a basic requirement. I've never had a situation in my company where the number varied within a single flow.

Rob
Los Gallardos

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @lukeward88,

You can create an EmailAddress SharePoint list to store the email addresses into it, then create a "Leave Office" column which type is "Yes/No".

If someone leaves office, set the value as Yes. When sending the approval requests, create a condition action to determine the Boolean value of "Leave Office" if true.

-If yes, send the approval to the default proxy.

-If no, send the approval normally.

SharePoint list:

Annotation 2019-08-15 145244.pngFlow configuration:

Annotation 2019-08-15 150518.png

Since you want to send the approval at the same time, you can click on the ellipsis to set the action of Apply to each number of concurrent runs.

Apply to each setting:Annotation 2019-08-15 151650.png

Annotation 2019-08-15 151411.png

Please have a try, I hope it can help you.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lin Tu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @lukeward88,

Has your problem been solved?

If you want to receive a confirmation when each person has approved the approval, you need to create a Send Email action under the approval action.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,749)