cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
medasbabu
Level: Powered On

approval workflow - updating field issue

I have a approval work flow to manage "Leave Request" I have sharepoint list where user input their details, this initiates the workflow, send email for approval to manager, who either approves or rejects its,

Once this is done, workflow updates a field "Status" based on manager response.

When above step is done, this flow updates another field "Leave Type" which field type is Choice, data in this field is removed all together, how do I fix it, below are snapshots, which would give you clear idea on this issue.

1. "Leave Type" - this field type is choice

1_LeaveType_Choice.JPG

2. One item is added, please note Leave Type is "SL - Sick Leave"

2_SL_Applied.JPG

3. When above list is approved, and workflow updates status to Approved, note that Leave Type field is blank.

This should not happen as Leave Type field is choice, which isn't supported in flow, but its updating this field.

3_Approved_WF_deletes_LeaveType.JPG

4. Here is the workflow, which kicks off once manager approves, note that I'm only updating mandatory field and status field, but this is impacting "Leave Type"

4_Updated_Status_inWF.JPG

What's the solution so that Leave Type doesn't change and remains same.

TIA

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: approval workflow - updating field issue

Hi Medasbabu,

From your screenshot, I noticed that there is no Leave Type column shown in "SharePoint- Update item" action. I think this is the reason why this column value will change after flow runs.

Please check, if we create a new flow and connection to this list, will the Leave Type column show in the SharePoint action field? If no, please try to recreate a new "Leave Type" choice column to then test in flow to see if the new one can show successfully.

I have created a choice column in my SP list and create a similar flow like yours. I'm not getting your issue as long as I filled the  choice column value with the right dynamic content from previous action.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
medasbabu

Thanks Mona, the reason I wasn't expecting "Leave Type" in flow because flow doesn't support choice field, that's what I understood when i searched to resolve this, but you state, you were able to update choice column in flow, let me test it out.

Thanks

Suresh

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Medasbabu,

From your screenshot, I noticed that there is no Leave Type column shown in "SharePoint- Update item" action. I think this is the reason why this column value will change after flow runs.

Please check, if we create a new flow and connection to this list, will the Leave Type column show in the SharePoint action field? If no, please try to recreate a new "Leave Type" choice column to then test in flow to see if the new one can show successfully.

I have created a choice column in my SP list and create a similar flow like yours. I'm not getting your issue as long as I filled the  choice column value with the right dynamic content from previous action.

Regards,

Mona

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
medasbabu

Thanks Mona, the reason I wasn't expecting "Leave Type" in flow because flow doesn't support choice field, that's what I understood when i searched to resolve this, but you state, you were able to update choice column in flow, let me test it out.

Thanks

Suresh

medasbabu

Hi Mona, I created a test list with similar fields and created a flow to update the list, nope, I was not able to see choice filed in that flow.

1. List containing choice field Ltype.2_1_Ltype_ChoiceField.JPG

2. Sharepoint Update Item in flow, where I can't find choice field "Ltype"2_2_UpdateItem.JPG

medasbabu

Hi Mona, there seems to be problem in the list, I recreated the list and applied the flow, its working fine now, thanks.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi medasbabu,

Great to know that the issue is solved. If there are some changes in SharePoint list, it might effect the flow to work properly.

Regards,

Mona

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,306)