cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fish01

attempting Flow to send email after comparing two excel lists

I am attempting to use flow to automate my process of sending a reminder to people of have not completed education.  I have two excel files.  The first is one is auto-populated through MS Forms as a person completes their education.  The second excel file contains all of the people who should be completing the education including their email address which is what I am trying to use.  I have attempted to build a flow that compares the list of emails from both lists.  If their email only shows up in the second excel file (Master List) then I want to send a reminder email.  However, I have run into several problems.  I have tried to use a filter array which kinda works.  The problem I am running into now is that at times there may be people who's email shows up in the first list, but not the second (Master List) which is okay.  However, I can't figure out how to exclude those differences.  I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

4 REPLIES 4
efialttes
Super User
Super User

Hi!

Can you share a screenshot from your current flow design?

Thanx!

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

efialttes
Super User
Super User

Hi again

Let me see if I understood the problem

So you have list #1 stored in an Excel table, a new row is added everytime Forms response is received. It stores email addresses from people that completed education, right?

And you have list #2 (Master list) stored in a differernt Excel table, each row a stutent (and its email address) that started education, right?

And, current problem is, sometimes an email address is present in List #1 but not in list #2, right?

So your point is, you read emails from list B and iterate through them one by one (by means of 'Apply to each' right?), if their email only shows up in the second excel file (Master List) you send a reminder email.

I believe you probably doublecheck it by means of a 'Filter Array' inside your 'Apply to each', so if the result is empty, you send an email

I must be missing something... I mean I do not see where the problem is

Hope this makes sense

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Hello and thank you for your offer to help me solve this.  You are correct about list #1.  List #2 includes the names and emails of everyone who should complete the education.  My goal of this flow is to look at list #1 and if an email is not in list #1, but on list #2 then I want flow to send an email to that person.  Right now I think I broke my flow as it is sending repeated emails.  I have attached screenshots to show what I have.

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 1.41.26 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-09-16 at 1.42.08 PM.jpg

Hi again

Some thoughts

1.- you should be able to move both excel get rows action blocks before first 'Apply to each'

2.- you should be able to remove second 'apply to each' this way you will avoid sending to many emails. Please note sometimes flow editor is a bit stubborn

3.- the reason to add two 'Filter array' action blocks is to validate two different conditions, right? If so, i believe input for second 'Filter array'  should be output from first 'Filter array'

Hope this helps

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (3,174)