cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yvonzim
Helper IV
Helper IV

build an ICS for 1 Event in 2 different timezones

I have a flow that generates an ICS file in UTC time, so far so good.

But i want to be able to change the timezones per time-item because it is a flight itinerary and the departure time is in a different time zone then the arrival time. 

ICS looks like this: 

ics.PNG

I could of course force the user to convert the times before entering them, but that seems like a prescription for disaster.  At some point they are likely to forget to do the conversion before creating the event.

What solution is an option?

Yvon

6 REPLIES 6
FlowHawk
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hey Yvon,

Are the inputs already in their different time zones? In other words, could the DTStart be in EST and the DTEnd in PST and they both get converted to UTC? It sounds like users are inputting these times somewhere and selecting a time zone, and you potentially want to convert them individually to UTC before creating the ICS, right? If so, how will you know what time zone they are in?

Hi, 

The user creating the ICS is in Amsterdam (UTC +1).

She stores the departure time and arrival time in the right local time.

for example: departure at 10:00 from NY (local time)  to arrival Amsterdam 17:00 (local time)

When i put these datetime fields in the ICS and the guest is in NY and stores the ICS in his\her agenda the departure time wil change to 3.00 (NY local time) instead of the 10.00.

it would be great if the user can indicate that 10:00 is in Eastern Time Zone (UTC-05:00)

Where is the user entering the information? Power App, Microsoft Form, SharePoint list form, other?

User is entering info in a sharepointlist with powerapps form

My recommendation would be to create a choice column for the user to select the time zone for the start time and another for the end time. Here are the possible values for those columns: Microsoft Time Zone Index Values | Microsoft Docs

Then in your flow I'd use the information to map to UTC. There's no way of knowing what the timezone is unless you capture it from your users.

Someone may have a more clever way to select time zones in Power Apps, but I'd check that forum. I didn't see anything quickly searching online.

I tried to think about a drop down with time zones, but i lost my way, because I also have to take daylight saving into account. 

What i basically want is the calendar to ignore timezones etc. because the time inserted in Sharepoint is already the right local time. Don't think that is what an ICS file is supposed to do.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,552)