cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

excel online (business) update row when value is null

I searched and found a few similar posts, but none of the solutions worked for my specific use case.

I am attempting to:

• get rows from an excel online (business) table;
    • where the value in a specified column is null, and then:
  • update that row with a value from another connector, and then:
  • continue this until all values in that column contain data (run until not null).

My objective is to update each row in my table with data in that column. 

When I use the excel 'Get Rows' with key value an expression 'null' it returns all rows where that key value is null. My next step connector is expecting one row, and it fails. I attempted some workarounds here (filter array) without success.

I then attempted to use 'List Rows in table'  in place of 'Get Rows'. I used ODATA filters to limit to one row, and limit to rows with null value for that column.

The 'List Rows' version flow completes "successfully", however the excel document is not actually modified. Because the flow says it was successful I can't view the detailed step outputs/errors, or I don't know how to do this.

Any help would be appreciated and I am open to any other way to accomplish this. Thank you!!

2019-12-10_12-00-47.jpg

2019-12-10_12-45-57.jpg

Same flow, but with 'List rows in table' :

2019-12-10_12-44-18.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: excel online (business) update row when value is null

Thanks for the reply. When I used 'list rows' without any filters the next step failed, apparently because all values from rows were being sent to the next step connector and it was expecting one value. (my photos are just for demonstration, not the actual flow)

I applied the filters so that it would list rows with "null" values in that column, but limit to only 1 row (Top count 1). This way it would list one row at a time and send that value to the next step. There are certainly better ways to do this, but it seemed as though this would get the job done.

After all of this, I deleted the "List rows" step and re-added it and now my flow is successful with the desired results. I have encountered this before but I have no explanation for how deleting and re-adding solves the problem. Thanks again for your reply.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@dijit '

As far as I understood, the output of 'List rows present in a table' in your flow is conveniently filtered so you get all rows with a specific column with null values, right?

And your goal is to update all these rows so they will not keep this column value null, right?

If my understanding in correct, why do you need a 'Do until' inside the 'Apply to each'? I am assuming you are using the output of 'list rows present in a table' as input for 'Apply to each'.

Hope this helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply. When I used 'list rows' without any filters the next step failed, apparently because all values from rows were being sent to the next step connector and it was expecting one value. (my photos are just for demonstration, not the actual flow)

I applied the filters so that it would list rows with "null" values in that column, but limit to only 1 row (Top count 1). This way it would list one row at a time and send that value to the next step. There are certainly better ways to do this, but it seemed as though this would get the job done.

After all of this, I deleted the "List rows" step and re-added it and now my flow is successful with the desired results. I have encountered this before but I have no explanation for how deleting and re-adding solves the problem. Thanks again for your reply.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dijit,

You could get all rows of the table firstly, then to determine each row's key value whether it is empty, if it is empty, update this row, for example:

empty(item()?['columnName'])

Annotation 2019-12-26 102523.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (11,171)