cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
KLemmon
Level: Powered On

excel to google calendar flow

Fairly new to flows. Have built a few succesfully. I have an excel file in sharepoint that the "team" adds and changes event info. in. I need a Flow that sends the event info. and updates to our google calendar.

I did make a table in the excel file so I think I'm on the right track. I know I need a recurring event.

Are there any step by step directions for this or a template? I think I'm close. The flow runs correctly but doesn't post to the calendar.

11 REPLIES 11
Super User
Super User

Re: excel to google calendar flow

Hi @KLemmon 

You say that you believe you are close.

I would advise posting pictures of your Flow and as much detail as possible and either I, or another will be able to look at that and maybe advise what you should do next. Can you do that please?

Thanks, Alan

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

KLemmon

Sorry for the delay. I'm not receiving notificaitons of responses. Here are screen shots of my excel file and my flow. Trying to go from excel to google calendar.

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 12.35.49 PM.pngMy excel fileScreen Shot 2019-03-26 at 12.35.58 PM.pngMy flow screen oneScreen Shot 2019-03-26 at 12.39.41 PM.pngMy flow screen 2

Super User
Super User

Hi @KLemmon , thanks for the additional information.

I have started by recreating some of the steps.

Here is some of my output from the "List rows present in a table".Capture-418.png

Please ignore the date format for now.

Based on the images you have posted, it looks like your condition is checking that a value exists in the customer field then if it does, creates a google calendar event. This would do so for all customers in the spreadsheet every day you run this as a recurrence. Is that what you are looking for?

I think what you are trying to acheive would be better with a SharePoint list that was updated with the events. Although, if you need to stick with Excel, you would need to look at making your condition more like (unless you want every entry in the sheet):Capture-419.png

The date format, is that being manually enterred or getenerated as a pre set US date format?

This may also mean looking at modifying date formats to suit in your condition.

If the dates were more like 03/18/2019, 03/19/2019 etc they may be easier to work with so I will try and work with the format you have posted but it's not the most familair to me.

I will post a method I think best using a SharePoint list in case it helps but I would really need more information as described above.

Thanks, Alan

Proud to be a Flownaut!

KLemmon

It would be best if the calendar event could come straight from excel. We use excel to keep track of events that are sold. From those event I have set up an excel table that pulls the customer and the date automatically.

If the customer cell is blank. I don't need the calendar to do anything. If there is a name in the customer field, I need flow to create a google calendar event based on the date and the customer name.

I tried making a list first (not prefered). I did have trouble with the dates going to integers rather than staying as a date when I had them set up mm/dd/year.

I'm open to suggestions on fixing the date problem. Do you have further suggestions now that you know exactly what I am trying to do?

Thanks for your help.

Super User
Super User

Hi @KLemmon .

I guess I do, it is in line with what I was first mentioning. Thanks for clarifying you want an event for every customer in the sheet with a date next to it.

Leave it with me, I will work with the excel spreadsheet for now and the condition based on customer field populated and todays date.

I will report back soon.

If you have found my post helpful, please mark thumbs up.

Any other questions, just ask.

Thanks, Alan

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Super User
Super User

Hi @KLemmon .

Here is what I have working.

The Spreadsheet:Capture-420.png

Note: The "Date" column is a general string format free typed as 03/26/2019. When using a "Date" format I only get integer based output although you can see how you get on with your format.

Here is the Flow that books an event.Capture-421.png

The condition:

1:

not(empty(items('Apply_to_each')?['Customer']))

is equal to

true

2:

formatDateTime(items('Apply_to_each')?['date'], 'MM/dd')

is equal to

formatDateTime(utcnow(), 'MM/dd')

The Create an event:

Start Time (9 am):

addHours(startOfDay(utcnow()), 9)

End Time (12pm):

addHours(startOfDay(utcnow()), 12)

You may need more like (possibly, I'm from the UK which is UTC)

addHours(startOfDay(convertTimeZone(utcnow(), 'UTC', 'Eastern Standard Time')), 9)
addHours(startOfDay(convertTimeZone(utcnow(), 'UTC', 'Eastern Standard Time')), 12)

You will need to test if this works with your date format from excel, my testing hasn't worked but you manage.

I at least hope this gets you further on or if you change the date format in excel it will work when using UTC.

Capture-422.png

If you have found my post helpful, please mark thumbs up.

Any other questions, just ask.

Thanks, Alan

Proud to be a Flownaut!

KLemmon

Thanks for all your help.  I changed the dates in excel from date format to general as show in the screen shot here. I used the Eastern Standard expressions. I think you got me a lot closer but according to the atttached screen shot by date is still causing a problem and at this point I am not sure why.Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 8.53.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-27 at 8.52.23 AM.png

KLemmon

Update: Changed date format to as shown. Flow says it is running fine. I get the "t" screen and nothing updates to the calendar but flow says it is running.,Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 9.01.34 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-27 at 9.01.21 AM.png

Super User
Super User

Hi @KLemmon 

based on your error below:capture-299.PNG

This is inline with my first reply, it looks like tghe excel columns that are "Date"are the issue. I'm hoping there is a way to resolve this but I'm not certain of it at this time.

If you make the column just text, it should work in line with my process. so highlight the excel column and change the format away from Date.

If you find my posts helpful, please mark with thumbs up

Any questions, just ask.

Thanks, Alan

Proud to be a Flownaut!

KLemmon

Date problem sovled. I was using general rather than text in excel. Got that worked out. Flow running successfully but still not adding items to the calendar.

KLemmon

Most of the problem turned out to be my browser. Firefox wasn't a good choice. Not all dynamic expressions or the expression builder showed every time. I switched to chrome and all is better but I did have to do some digging to get the date to fire. I can now create google calendar items from my excel file. Thanks.

Any idea how to get changes to the excel file to update the calendar event? Right now it is just making hundreds of duplicates.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,492)