cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew_Reynolds
Level: Powered On

file system copy file to SharePoint

I had a flow running to copy newly created files from on premis file system to SharePoint list but this stopped running a couple of weeks ago and now returns an error

http request failed: the timeout was reached.

If i try to recreate the flow it appears that i can now only create a flow with file metadata and not actually copy the file contents - as "Body" is no longer listed on the dynamic content

Any ideas how to create a flow to copy new files to Sharepoint docment libraries from file system?

14 REPLIES 14
douglasromao
Level 8

Re: file system copy file to SharePoint

Hi @Andrew_Reynolds,

How trigger are you using to start this flow? I´m trying to replicate your cenario in my environment to test some possibilities, could you share with me?

Regards,

Douglas Romão

Andrew_Reynolds

Hi @douglasromao

the trigger that used to work in the past is "When File is added" and the file name contained "DeliveryTicket"

image.png

however when trying to re-crerate the flow the only file system flows appear be 'metadata' only and dont allow to copy the file body

image.png

I have discovered there is an option to create a flow from a template however it's not possible to include and conditions as there is no dynamic content available.  There is also no option to select the folder, but i assume this can be overcome by using a connector direct to the folder.  THIS TEMPLATE APPEARS TO HAVE DISSAPEARD NOW.

Andrew_Reynolds

Hi @douglasromao

The tamplate has re-appeared, but there is no option to use dynamic content.

image.png

image.png

douglasromao
Level 8

@Andrew_Reynolds,

It seems that this is no longer possible Smiley Sad what if you use the One Drive for Business trigger? You can configure your local folder to connect with a SharePoint library and use this trigger to send to another list or library.

Andrew_Reynolds

How do i connect the local folder to a Sharepoint Library?

arjun_umenon
Level: Power Up

Hi @douglasromao, thanks for the update and this helped to understand why it was not working when we trying to configure that.

Your solution (OneDrive) sync may work in a case were we need to push the files to document library for an attended session where the user will be logged in. But for an unattended session, OneDrive may prompt for credentials when the session / cookie gets expired.

Is there anyway where we can have some kind of un-attended session scenario where any modifications in the file system will push the data once a new file is added to the file system. (we dont want to create custom scripts for reducing the maintainability overhead).

Appreciate any lead in this case.

Thanks in advance.

Arjun Menon.

Flow Staff Stephen
Flow Staff

I want to apologize for the confusion here. We had an update to the File System connector that has the trigger only return back the metadata of Files. This change was made because some files are too big and the trigger was failing (the On-premises Data Gateway has a relatively low limit for file size).

However, you CAN still accomplish your scenario, it just takes one extra step. Now you can do:

- When a file is created or updated

- Get file content (or, Get file content by path)

- Whatever actions you wanted...

With this pattern you can use an error-handling step to also handle the case where the file is too big, so you can choose what to do (e.g. send yourself a notification, or you could ignore it). That would be impossible with the previous pattern.

Again, sorry for the issue, please let me know if this pattern doesn't work. 

Lkrishna

@Stephen Would you be able to give a step by step? I've tried to create your instructions but for some reason can't get it to work

bmcilquham

Stephen, is there a working resolution to this issue?  If so, can you provide more details.  I continue to get an error on the first action in my FLOW.

• FS - When a file is added
  • FS - Get content Type
  • SP - Create File

Thanks

Brent

marsulaap

I realize this is an older thread, but did anyone figure out a workaround for this process?

Thanks,

Andy

bmcilquham

dimi
Level 10

@marsulaap, whats your issue? This is working fine on my side.

duncfair

I am trying this - not from my PC but from a network share. The Flow says it is succeeding but the files are not being uploaded to the Sharepoint site. What am I doing wrong?
dimi
Level 10

Hi @duncfair

Can you elaborate on what you are trying and how you are trying it with either screenshots or a description?

Thank you in advance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 299 members 4,428 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: